All We've Got

"I found him."

"It's about time," Seokjin says into his phone. He's been waiting for Namjoon to give him more information restlessly. The stress of not being there for a fledgling is getting to him. Seokjin was with the others when they turned. As the original vampire, it's his responsibility. He was there even if he didn't personally sire them. Not this time. Things have changed. They used to be by each other's sides. Seokjin sighs and looks at the French airport's filthy floor. "I'm sorry my temper is short, Joon-ah. This is important."

"I know it is." Namjoon pauses. Seokjin imagines the way his eyebrows must furrow and the slight nibble of his lip. Namjoon always makes that face when he's in deep thought. "We'll be on our way to Ilsan tonight. The train ride will give me enough time to talk to him about everything else. Well at least the important stuff. I'll keep an eye on everything."

"Ilsan's good." Seokjin nods to himself. "Short drive from Seoul. I can be there in fourteen hours if my flight doesn't get delayed."

"Hyung. Taehyung's in Ilsan too."

The older vampire groans and rubs the expression of frustration off his face. "Of course he is. We'll all have to be there soon anyway. I'll tell him to stock up on blood bags. We'll need as many as we can get if we want to keep a low profile. If we all bring some too, it should last for a little while."

"Where's everyone else?"

"Hoseok's in Brazil, Yoongi's in California, and Jimin is in Egypt. I'll give them the okay to head over to Ilsan today."

Namjoon lets out a breath. "Thank you hyung."

"Yeah. Just- just take care of the fledgling. What's his name?"

"Jungkook. He's still a kid hyung."

"Don't tell me you feel guilty." Seokjin's voice isn't accusatory, rather slightly curious. It's been a long time since Seokjin has turned anyone, but he never remembers feeling guilty. "You couldn't have controlled this. Besides, you've saved him from death in every sense. Most humans want immortality."

"Being dead is better than being this."

"He'll get used to it." Seokjin keeps his eyes down, refusing to agree. Unable to agree when he has been this for so long. Since forever. "The rest of us did."

***

Jungkook and Namjoon are sharing a private train car to Ilsan. They'd made a trip back down to Jungkook's university so he could pack a few things. The things he couldn't live out, per Namjoon's instructions. Jungkook didn't mention the fact that he wasn't really alive anymore. He doesn't actually know what it means to be alive anymore.

Jungkook didn't enjoy traveling during the day but he understood that Namjoon was in a rush. Even though he covered as much skin as possible the sun still hurt his eyes. Namjoon had explained that it's because his senses are so heightened. That's why the sun hurt his skin as well. He was sensitive all over. Namjoon had also assured that Jungkook would get used to it and eventually it would become more tolerable.

Now the sun is nearing the west again and Jungkook is both tired and hungry as he sits on the train. He grabs the duffel and begins to drink another bag.

"Why aren't you all together?" Jungkook asks. Namjoon turns from where he'd been staring out the train window, shaded by a slightly transparent cover.

"What?"

"You and the others. I figured if it were me — and I guess it is now — I'd want to be with people like me. I mean- doesn't it get lonely?" Jungkook fingers at the straw of the blood bag, thirsty but curious.

Namjoon studies Jungkook's face. The kid is smart, he's realized as much in the short time they've spent together. He didn't think Jungkook would have questions like this. Or rather, he hoped he wouldn't ask them.

"We used to stay with each other," Namjoon answers. It makes his heart ache to talk about. "It's harder now. Humans have gotten more adept at find killers. They're better at finding missing people and at catching the people responsible for it. If all of us were using the same hunting grounds, it'd only be a matter of time before people find out we exist. About thirty years ago we agreed to stay scattered. But it's easy for us to stay in touch. Technology and all that."

"So what? You hop around the world all by yourself?" Jungkook asks. Namjoon nods, still not looking at the younger. "You didn't answer me before. Is it lonely?"

"I guess."

"Am I- will I have to do that too? Be alone?" Jungkook holds something akin to fear in his eyes.

"I'll stick with you for a while, until you get yourself under control. We all will. But yes, one day you'll probably have to."

"How can I do that? I need something to live for. It can't be for my next meal." Jungkook speaks with such sincerity that Namjoon feels heartbroken.

"You'll have to. You can't die, Jungkook. Even if you have nothing to live for, nothing can kill you. You have to accept that. I live for the moments I get to talk to the others. They're the only people you can get close to because if someone's human you'll have to live with the fear of their eminent deaths. We're all you've got now. Everyone else is only food or in the way."

That's enough to shut Jungkook up for a minute. He turns to sipping on blood instead of talking.

Namjoon huffs in frustration. Not towards Jungkook, but towards himself.

"That's not true," Namjoon admits. He sighs and speaks slowly. "People are... they're frustrating and small minded sometimes but they're all we've got. I think I forget that I used to be human too."