You Can't Untangle Souls

Hoseok's scars are taking time to heal. Wounds left by silver always do. That knowledge doesn't make Jungkook feel any better. Not whilst looking at how mangled Hoseok's skin is.

The youngest vampire is sat in Hoseok's room, watching over his hyung as he sleeps through the healing process. Guilt overwhelms Jungkook. He's partially responsible for what happened to Hoseok. The witches targeted Jungkook because he was weaker. That's why they left Hoseok behind to suffer. Jungkook could've stopped it. If he-

"Mmm," Hoseok groans. He rolls to his side slightly, sensing Jungkook's presence in the room. Jungkook shoots to his bedside.

"Hyung? Hyung are you awake? How are you feeling?" Jungkook asks. He takes Hoseok's hand in his. The scars are rough to the touch.

Hoseok chuckles the best he can. He offers the fledgling a closed mouth smile. Jungkook isn't used to things like this -- injuries and pain. He's still so human. "I'm fine Jungkookie." 

Hoseok cracks open his eyes and squints at Jungkook. The youngest looks so pained, so afraid for his hyung. But Hoseok can only focus on how strong Jungkook seems. Power radiates off him in waves, far more than before. Hoseok squints. "What happened to you?"

"Witch blood," Jungkook answers shyly. His throat feels tight.

"How much did you have?" Hoseok struggles to sit up. He gives up trying quickly. Instead, he settles for tilting his head to look at Jungkook fully. 

Jungkook looks away from his hyung and squeezes his hand. "All of it."

***

Taehyung enters the house slowly. He looks behind him, scanning the area and scenting the air, then steps inside and shuts the door. He sets the deadbolt in place.

Jimin watches him from the kitchen. Taehyung had gone on out for more blood bags, but he was nearly thirty minutes later than he promised.

"What took so long?" Jimin asks. He swirls the glass in his hand. The fear that Taehyung had been attacked is still fresh in his mind, but the vampire seems fine.

"Someone was following me. I had to lose them before heading back," Taehyung says. He throws the duffel bag on the counter.

"A witch?" Jimin raises a brow. "Did you hunt them down?"

Taehyung shakes his head. "I don't know who it was. I would've grabbed him, but he was smart. He was always in the crowd or in line of sight."

Jimin hums. "I'm sure they'll be back. And they won't get away next time."

Taehyung nods. "Is Hoseok-hyung awake yet?"

"Yeah. Well. He's been in and out. Namjoon-hyung got him to drink something before he passed out again," Jimin answers. He takes a sip from his glass. His knuckles are white. Just a little more pressure and the glass would shatter.

Taehyung carefully takes the glass from Jimin's hand. He meets his sire's eyes. "I'm angry too hyung. But the witches who did this are dead. They can't get more dead."

Jimin sighs and looks away. "Maybe. I still hate this."

"You're not the only one." Taehyung chuckles without any humor. "If it were up to me, I'd have left Jeohei Ambrose's innards strewn across his lawn."

Jimin smiles at the thought. Perhaps another time.

"How Jungkook?" Taehyung asks.

"He's... I don't know. He won't drink anything, but he's finally asleep. His aura- it's so strong Taehyungie. It's not fading. Like he stole all those witches' power and made it his own." Jimin pauses. "I wouldn't be worried, but all of us know he couldn't control himself before. Now there's no telling what will happen."

"Maybe. But we'll get through it. Just like we always have."

Jimin comes around the counter so he can hug Taehyung tight. Taehyung melts into the touch.

"I missed you, you know. These past few years," Jimin says softly. He brushes a strand of hair from Taehyung's face.

"I know. Only because I missed you twice as much," Taehyung teases with a smile. Jimin laughs and pulls back.

"That's impossible." Jimin kisses both of Taehyung's cheeks just to see the younger vampire blush and smile brightly. "It doesn't matter anyway. Because we're never going to be apart like that again."

Taehyung's smile falters. "You know, it's been the worst thirty years of my life. Being away from you all."

"Mine too." Jimin threads his fingers through Taehyung's hair. His touch is gentle but firm. Like he's afraid Taehyung will disappear. Physically, neither of them have changed. But years of loneliness will change a person. Immortal or not. Jimin can see it in Taehyung's eyes. Pain has changed them. Changed all of them.

Their used to pain. Physical pain and mental pain have followed them for hundreds -- for thousands -- of years. But isolation is a unique pain. None of them had ever been alone besides Seokjin. Being apart from one another had been hell. They've been together so long that their souls have grown into each other.

"Every where I went I could only think of you guys," Jimin continues. "I wanted to experience it all with you. I never got used to it. Every day I woke up I was disappointed none of you were there."

Taehyung takes Jimin's free hand between his. "I know what you mean. But like you said — never again."

Jimin's expression is tender. "Yeah Taehyung-ah. Never."