It All Goes Wrong Somewhere

Jungkook awakens with a startle. Tangled in bed sheets and hungry.

There's nothing human in miles. Jungkook can smell that. But there's blood elsewhere. Namely the stores. There's not enough in the fridge to fill him, so he heads to the basement instead. He can smell the larger cooler there. Hesitation absent, Jungkook opens it.

Tearing into bag after bag Jungkook forgets who he is.

Seokjin has been tired since they met with the council nearly a month ago. He'd almost forgotten how hard caring for a fledgling was. Jungkook's hunger is far from under control, but he's growing used to his body. They were right to assume Jungkook's senses are stronger than the average fledgling. His abilities have made taming him more difficult.

At least they have been left to themselves. They may be going crazy, stuck in the house together for so long and only leaving to restock on blood bags. Now, it isn't just Jungkook who is sick of foul tasting plastic-like blood. They've got to get out.

"He isn't ready," Yoongi says. He and Seokjin stand at the top of the basement stairs listening to the sounds of Jungkook's morning feeding. He's always starving when he wakes. No matter how much he gorges himself, nothing ever sates the hunger.

"I know." Seokjin turns to the younger vampire. He trusts Yoongi's judgement and always goes to him for a second opinion first. Yoongi doesn't hesitate to say what's on his mind. Not ever. "It could be a long time before he has control over himself. Keeping him isolated from humans won't do him any good though."

"True." Yoongi rhythmically presses his shoulder into the door frame he leans on. "But there are humans that already know of us. If he were around them, we wouldn't have be threatening exposure. Only their lives. Any supernaturals would be terrified of him. We'd have to be careful if we took him anywhere. Humans or not."

"Hoseok could take him on the next supply run. Get him out for a few hours at least. If he does well we can talk about something else." Seokjin looks down the stairs into the dark. Yoongi nods slowly.

They share a glance. The pair don't need words in these moment. Thousands of years with another person makes it easy to read them. Their concern and uncertainty for the future are obvious to one another.

"We'll be okay," Seokjin says, always the comforting figure. "He'll be okay."

Jungkook sits in the passenger seat of a black sedan while Hoseok drives. It's dusk now. Just enough sunlight in the sky to light it up but not enough to irritate the vampires's eyes. Hoseok has sunglasses on anyway, although Jungkook suspects it's for fashion more than usefulness (if you can call the thick, yellow rimmed glasses fashionable).

During the long drive, Jungkook realizes the older vampire has surprisingly delicate hands. Jungkook has been watching them grip the steering wheel for a while, fascinated with the details. The tendons flexing with every shift of the wheel. The faint, faint veins — a special shade of blue that reflects the galaxy itself. Jungkook wouldn't describe Hoseok's hands as overly feminine or small. No, they're quite large, but they lack the brutishness that one would expect from hands with so much blood on them. Figuratively of course. For now.

"So where do you get all the blood from?" Jungkook asks. He pulls his eyes away from the steering wheel and turns them to the road in front of them. He doesn't know exactly where they are, but they passed the city limits a few minutes ago and he hasn't seen much civilization since.

Hoseok glances at Jungkook — happy that the younger feels like talking — before answering. "Usually we can break into hospitals or blood drive storage, but after a time it raises suspicion with the humans. Since we knew we'd be here for a while, we set up a system. We asked a group of fae to collect bags inconspicuously. One of them is a nurse that does blood drives. It's easy for them to steal some bags from each drive and hand them over to us. Or she can take them from the hospital with a little paperwork and white lies."

The Truth About Vampires (Bts vampire au)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara