Human Nature

Namjoon doesn't leave Jungkook's side until the kid's habit of inhaling and exhaling ceases, indicating he's fully asleep. Yoongi has arrived since. Namjoon welcomes the second eldest vampire just as eagerly as he did Jin.

"How've you been?" Yoongi mutters against Namjoon's shoulder before pulling away. Yoongi's always been good at reading people. An observer at heart.

"Been better," Namjoon confesses. "Also been worse."

"That's fair enough." Yoongi looks around the house as if to inspect it. "It's been a while since I've been here. Hasn't changed at all."

"Not beside an extra heartbeat. I'd introduce you to him but he's finally asleep."

"I'm jealous. It took me three weeks to sleep after I turned."

"Yeah I didn't know all the tricks for you," Seokjin says as he enters the foyer. He hugs Yoongi from behind and plants a brief kiss on the back of Yoongi's head. "I've apologized before."

Yoongi wrangles his way out of Seokjin's hold. "I only said I was jealous. And we'll wake him if we keep talking. You know how sensitive his ears are right now."

Namjoon hums in agreement. He looks up the stairs thinking of how Jungkook is in his room alone. Just as alone as he was when he turned and woke up in a blood craze.

"How is he?" Yoongi asks with a lower tone, eyes following Namjoon's.

"Confused. Frustrated. Hungry. The usual," Seokjin answers. He pats Yoongi's shoulder.

"He still feels human." Namjoon turns away from the stairs. "Still thinks like one. He just needs time."

Yoongi sighs. "How long are we all staying here? Or do we plan to move together for a while?"

Namjoon looks to Seokjin who looks between the two younger vampires. "Let's think about that later. Hoseok and Jimin aren't even here yet."

"It's important hyung," Yoongi argues. He reaches for the eldest's arm. "I need to know how long I have to spend with you."

"The decision to split up wasn't just mine." Seokjin huffs. "We'll talk about it together. Like we always do."

"Jungkook brought up a good point to me earlier," Namjoon says. He rubs the space between his eyebrows. "It's been lonely."

"Eternity will always be lonesome."

"It doesn't have to be."

Seokjin looks down at the polished tiles then back up at the youngers's faces. "We'll talk about it later. With everyone. And after Jungkook is more stable."

"Okay hyung."

***

Jungkook wakes up with his ears pounding. He can hear four heartbeats downstairs. All of them slow and steady. Too slow to belong to anyone alive.

He can feel the power in the house. The kind of strength and aura that comes with age. Jungkook thinks he would be drawn towards it if he weren't already here.

His throat is dry and Jungkook pulls back the covers. There's still light outside. He hadn't slept long. Despite that, Jungkook feels better than he had before. Sleep had given his body and mind a chance to catch up with each other.

Jungkook finds himself staring at the open fridge for a while. There's blood right in front of him but he can't bring himself to drink it. The knowledge that it will be cold and taste of plastic makes his hunger for it lessen. He wants something warm to sink his teeth into. The hungrier he gets the less he cares that his bite will kill someone.