Chapter 7

"Good morning" my mom walks into the kitchen all cheery the next morning, while I feel like I want to die.

"Why are high school boys so stupid?"

"Present company excluded?" She asks as she pours herself some coffee

"No me very much included, I'm the biggest idiot of them all."

"What's going on honey?"

"The guy I told you about doesn't like me back, not how I like him at least and turns out he's been ha-" I stop myself before I say having sex to my mother, I correct "hanging out with another girl. I was a freaking joke and he'll never want to be with me or even come out for that matter."

"Wow that's a lot to unpack" she comes closer touching my face, "and you look so tired, did you get any sleep at all?"

"No sleep is for people who deserve it, I deserve to stay up all night thinking about a stupid guy who sees me as nothing more than just a hang."

"A hang?" She asks confused and I'm reminded I'm speaking to my mom about things she would never understand.

Sighing "forget it."

"Ewan I'm leaving now if you still need a ride" my dad walks in "what's the matter?" He asks seeing my state

"Boy troubles" my mom whispers

"Oh," he nods, "Is this about that boy Damien Allen?"

"What?" And now I'm awake "what are you talking about no it's not!" Jesus fucking Christ if my dad figures this out I'm screwed

"Wait who's Damien Allen?"

"No one" I quickly answer, "and dad you can't go around saying his name or any association he has with me, please."

Ignoring my begging my mom asks my dad "did something happen with this Damien Allen?"

"Yes they were caught kissing at school a few weeks ago, and I gave them a warning to not do it again,"

"What?!" My mom reacts with a smile, "is he the-"

"No, he's not!" Oh god please help me "both of you stop, it's not Damien dad never say his name again... please" I stare sternly so he'll get it.

"All right fine it's not Damien, but we don't have time for this let's go" he grabs my arm dragging me out of the kitchen. We leave for school and I sit in the passenger seat with my head against the window, trying to get some semblance of a nap before I spend the next 8 hours hating the fact that I was ever born. "I know some things about that Damien Allen" my dad randomly says as he's driving, maybe if I ignore him he'll stop. "He's a troubled kid" nope guess not, "and you are very smart Ewan I wouldn't want to see you fall in the wrong crowd."

"Please stop" I beg with my eyes still shut

"I'm just saying Damien Allen's home life plays a big part in the way he acts towards himself and others."

"What are you talking about?" I lift my head finally interested in something he has to say

"I've met his father, a single parent raising 2 kids" Damien has a sibling? "The man is in over his head and he takes it out on his kids, especially Damien."

"Wait are you saying his dad abuses him?"

"I don't know about physically I've never been able to prove that, but yes there is some verbal abuse there. His teachers have complained about it multiple times, when they've met his father during parent-teacher conferences." I'm pretty sure he shouldn't be telling me any of this, "are you interested in him Ewan?"