Chapter 12

"HOLY SHIT I WON!" I jump out of the chair throwing my controller down "I WON! OH MY GOD!" Jumping up and down I don't focus on the scream "YESSSSSS" I cheer hopping around my room

"What's going on?" My mom opens my bedroom door confused by the screaming, "why all the yelling?"

"Mom" I rush to her grabbing her hand pulling her to my desktop "look! I've been playing this online tournament for the last 5 weeks and I actually won! Against like a bunch of people" I explain while showing her the screen

Reading the popup because I'm too distracted to do it, she says "well it says here you have to call that number since you're the winner, have you called?"

"What no I was too busy winning!" I can't believe I fucking won and the only person I can tell is my mom who doesn't give 2 shits about video games.

"Well is there a prize" As I open my mouth about to answer I stop, I don't know how they'll react when they hear about the money. I shouldn't tell them until I actually have the money, right?

HOLY SHIT I JUST WON 25 THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!

"Uh, I don't know" I lie calming down, "I'll call the number and find out."

"Okay" she walks to the door "dinner's almost ready so finish this then wash up."

"Yeah yeah," I wave her off grabbing my phone. Too jittery and barely able to focus I quickly dial the number.

After a ring, an automated message starts playing  "congratulations!! If you are calling this number that means you are this year's annual Gamerstein COD online tournament winner! To pick up your prize please show up to the Gamerstein headquarters with proof of identity and a smile for a picture for our website. For more info go to Gamerstein.com." The message ends and I hang up.

Later on, after I've calmed down from the hype I sit at the table with my parents eating dinner, "mom can you drive me to Glendale tomorrow?"

"Sure why?"

"To get my picture taken for the tournament website"

"What are we talking about?" My dad asks confused

"Playing hours of video games is finally paying off for your son" my mom answers causing my dad to look at me, "he won some competition online."

"Did you win a prize?" Yes

"I get my picture taken for the website as this year's champion,"

"When should we go to Glendale?"

"Tomorrow morning."

There's no way I'm sleeping tonight I think as I climb into bed, I actually won a tournament I started playing as a joke... what the fuck? I seriously can't stop smiling, something good is finally happening for me and I have no one to tell.

Picking up my phone as I lay on my back I open my texts with Damien, even though we haven't spoken all week and he was only at school for 2 days I have to tell him, right? This is his win too he helped just as much. Deciding to text him I send a simple 'Hey' no one can ignore a simple hey, no matter who's mad at who.

Well that thought didn't age very well, it's been almost 2 hours and not a single reply. I'm such a fucking clown for even trying, honestly why do I keep trying? What's wrong with me? I can't seem to quit on a guy who'd probably not give a shit whether I fell off the face of the earth or not. Yet here I am caring that he won't even text me back, though I should expect this I was the one who went off on him and said he'd never take me seriously. Which is the honest truth, I was a joke to Damien since the beginning and I'll always remain one no matter what I do.