Chapter 17

It's been rough I'm not going to lie, yes I know the truth now and sure I should be calm but I think I'm more worried than I was before. The thought of Damien in foster care scares me, and he might never come back, what if they make him switch schools? And I know he can't contact anyone who isn't family, but I just want to hear his voice, I need to know how he really is.

Jaded and checked out of class I sit there but my mind is elsewhere. "Baz?" I hear the faint sound of my name but I'm too far dazed to focus on it. "Baz!" The person barks and I jump to find my teacher standing in front of me, realizing I'm sitting in English lit, I shift in my seat trying to make it seem as if I've been paying attention, and my teacher says "you need to focus Baz."

"Sorry," I sit up straight.

"Now," she starts as she walks back to the front of the class, "Amber said that she thinks Ulysses' dream is the main symbol that moves the story, do you agree Baz?" I don't need to focus to tell her how wrong that is.

"No," I shake my head

"Why not?"

"Because she's wrong" Amber turns from her seat to look back at me, "I'm sorry but you are"

"How?" Amber asks

"The house is the symbol I mean obviously, Ulysses had the dream in the house, he was attacked in the house, and when it was time to choose he chose the house over himself-"

"Ok but the dream is what set off all those events," Amber cuts me off

"How many times was the dream mentioned?" I ask her but she doesn't answer, "right and they spoke about the house throughout the entire book. So please explain to us how something that was mentioned at the beginning of the book has the same equivalence to something the protagonist chose to kill himself for."

"I still think it's the dream," she turns facing forward

And I retort "well it's clearly your first time thinking so..."

Everyone looks at me after I make the comment, and Amber turns back throwing daggers at me. "Baz that wasn't nice please apologize to Amber" the teacher says

"Why should I apologize if she was wrong?"

"Because we don't attack people for their opinions do we?" Wow this teacher must be living under a fucking rock, "apologize"

"I'm not apologizing for being right"

"Then please leave"

"What?!" I look at her shocked "why are you kicking me out?"

"Because you're being disturbing" she walks to the door opening it, "come back when you're ready to share and not attack."

"This is such bullshit!" I stand shoving my phone in my pocket leaving everything else.

Angrily stomping out I stop in the empty hall unsure what to do, if I go to my dad he'll get mad that I got kicked out. With nowhere else to go, I walk against the lockers sliding down until I'm sitting on the floor. Feeling my head getting hot I look down holding it

I've been snapping at pretty much everyone the last couple days, my parents, people in class, I can't seem to act fucking chill anymore. I'm not doing good and I don't even know how to admit that out loud, I'm going crazy and the only person who can help me I have no clue where he is.

"Heard you've been looking for me," hearing the voice I quickly look over to see Damien walking towards me

Standing up I gawk at Damien shocked he's here, "holy shit!" Without thinking I wrap my arms around him hugging him

Hugging back tightly we stand in the empty hall with Damien's arms caressing my back while mine wrap around his neck. "Missed me that much, Ewan?"

Letting go I lightly shove him, "a week and a half you asshole? I've been so worried!"

"I know I'm sorry shit kind of hit the fan last week, and I didn't have my phone or any way I could see you"

"It's ok I know you couldn't"

"You do?"

Nodding I answer "my dad got a letter from CPS, and I begged him to call after not seeing or knowing what happened to you all last week."

"They told you guys what happened?"

I nod "your dad got arrested for child abuse and you guys are in the care of the state." Damien sighs walking to the locker leaning his back against it, "it wasn't the full story but we just wanted to make sure you were ok."

"Everything happened so fucking fast on Monday."

"I know one minute we're texting and the next you go completely silent, wasn't really sure what to think," I walk over leaning next to him.

"You know I wouldn't just ignore you like that right?" I nod, "my dad came home from work after a night shift on Monday after I fell back asleep, Joey was in the kitchen making cereal and my dad scared him, so he spilled milk everywhere and my dad attacked him for it. Joey's screams woke me up and when I rushed I found him hitting Joey, so I attacked him and we started fighting. While my dad was on top of me of repeatedly punching me, joey got scared and called the cops. One thing led to another and we're being told we have to pack our shit because we can't stay alone."

"Oh my god," I shake my head in disbelief "thank god you were there for Joey," Damien looks at me and I examine his bruised eye. Reaching over I gently graze the hurt area asking "are you ok?"

"Yeah it's healing now it was worse a week ago," as I touch his face Damien smiles, "you know you're dad told me how worried you've been."

"Of course I was worried your phone wasn't working, your car's at your house but no one would answer the door."

"You went to my house?" He asks surprised and I nod shamefully making Damien chuckle, "what's next did you try asking Eddie for me?"

"God no" I reply shaking my head, "I begged Silver to do it"

"You talked to Silver for me?"

"I was desperate" I frown, "I didn't know what was going on, and the more days passed the more I panicked, why wasn't your phone working at least?"

"Cops took it away as evidence, I had pictures on it of bruises on Joey's body because of my dad"

"Woah" I react, "can't believe what you guys have been through"

"It's all over now thank fuck, we don't ever have to see that asshole again."

"Does that mean you get to come back because the CPS lady said-"

"No yeah I'm back... for good"

"Good because I was going fucking crazy having to wait another week before I could see you," I inch my fingers towards his hand until they're close enough to wrap my fingers between his.

"Well I'm right here and I don't plan on going anywhere else," he says as he's leaning closer, moving from the lockers Damien stands in front of me. Bringing his hand up to my neck I feel his fingers make their way through my hair, as he leans his face and body to me I look both ways down the hall making sure we're alone.

"If you are going somewhere else maybe take me with you next time," I reply and Damien chuckles as his lips meet mine. Standing in front of me with my back against the lockers and my arms around him, Damien and I share a slow kiss in the hallway. God, I've missed his lips, lips I haven't felt for a whole week, how the fuck did I survive?

The stupid bell goes off and I'm not ready to pull away, but people start walking out of class so I break the kiss and Damien steps back letting go. "I have to go Joey's waiting for me" I frown reaching out taking his hand, "I'll come over later ok I still have a lot more to tell you."

"Okay," I nod watching as Damien bring my hand to his face kissing it, not caring that we're in a hall full of people. After he lets go he smiles then walks away and I watch him disappear in the midst of everyone.