Chapter Six: Went to Town

It's been two days since Ryan had called me stupid and if I was honest with myself, I don't think he said it on purpose. He probably didn't even know the impact his words would have on me which made my reaction even more embarrassing. When I felt the burn behind my eyes, I grew even angrier with my own weakness. I was a Feral Born for Moon's sake! Words were a ridiculous thing to allow myself to become emotional about. Tearing up like a pup. The disgrace.

But nevertheless, I'd been avoiding Ryan so I wouldn't have to go through the uncomfortableness of explaining my reaction. I was doing a good job of it too, staying around my cabin, going on that run I wanted to, and clearing the path from the pack house to my cabin. Until Candice came by with an apologetic smile to tell me I was to take the teens into town today with Ryan because she'd been rescheduled for patrol.

So now, I was currently making my way to the front of the pack house. Trying my best to avoid any of my fellow pack mates in case they wanted to talk for some reason. Reaching the house unhindered, I decided to cut straight through instead of going around to the front. I had just stepped through the threshold of the kitchen when the faint whisper of my name teased my ears. Curious, I followed the direction it had come from through the kitchen and to the stairs.

Cocking my head, I listened at the bottom to see if my name was mentioned again. Sure enough the person repeated my name and since it was mine they were saying, I started up the stairs. As I went the voice had become clearer in it's tone, the speaker was Ryan.

"So, Kai. I feel, no not feel Ryan. Formed, you've formed. Come on, get it together you can do this."

At the words I instantly wanted to go back down the stairs but if it's what I thought it was, the earlier I dealt with it the better. Walking with soft steps, well as softly as I could in my combat boots, I headed left down the hall to Ryan's room. Passing the two empty rooms reserved for visiting alphas, I stopped at his door.

"-I have for a year now, but I've just realized that I don't know you that well and that's a problem. How can I be so sure about my feelings if we don't know each others...well everything! I at least know it's not infatuation or obsession, I passed that stage a long time ago. There's just something about you that makes my heart -

Apprehension took hold of me and I paused my hand inches away from knocking on the hard wood of his door. That didn't sound like the speech men gave me when their wolf formed a bond. This sounded very different...almost like it wasn't a wolf bond at all. But a...human one.

A feeling speared through my body, one that I hadn't felt in a long time. It was like a flood of ice had hit my heart and stole my breath in the process. Fear. Fear of his strange words and the change that came with them.

If only Ryan learned to keep his mouth shut, then the urge to avoid him wouldn't have just tripled. If I was quick enough I could make it look like I'd been on the bus the whole time. Unless the gremlins tore it apart while they waited for us to get there. It had only been around fifteen minutes or so but they always found a way to get into trouble. Theo should be on the bus though so maybe he kept his fellow gremlins in line.

Racing down the stairs, the swing of my short hair irritated me in my slightly panicked state. Every glide of it against my neck caused a brushing sound followed by a small whoosh of air. The downside to having intense hearing was that it was never truly quiet, even when you were alone. Opening the side pocket of my tan cargo pants and grabbing the hair tie I had stashed in there earlier. I bent at the waist to flip my hair over my head before pulling it up into a tight ponytail.

Passing a hand quickly over the top to feel for bumps, I was satisfied to find none and continued down the stairs. A click of a lock and footsteps in the hall behind me caused a spike in my pulse. Picking up the pace, I walked out the front door to the bus parked just a few feet from the porch. Snarls and laughter came rolling out of the half open windows to assault the air. The noise level was deafening right up until I entered the bus.