Chapter Twenty-Three: Quick Thinking

When the overwhelming anger coming from the other side of the bond suddenly flickered out, I stumbled for the first time in my life. Pausing, my eyes roamed my surroundings as I checked the bond for any signs of life. It was a tense couple of seconds before my body sagged in relief when I felt the steady pulse of Ryan's life line through the bond. Thank, Moon. He must've worked himself into a rage before someone knocked him out, probably Otis. At least he'll get some rest while I was-

"Move!" The order was barked with a rough shove to the shoulder causing me to whip around and snarl.

In response, he pressed a button on the small remote he held and an excruciating shock wave traveled throughout my body. Every nerve I had felt as if it was being split in half and then painfully sewn back together. When my muscles finally slowed their spasming, I glared down at the thick silver coated titanium bracelets encircling both of my wrists with a small chain linking them together and the burnt flesh smell coming off of them. I had been with the Lunar Soldier's for a total of two hours and already I was going to have two new scars, big noticeable ones. Ryan was going to be sooo pissed when I got back.

Tilting my head to the side, I flashed my fangs at the man at fault, "I'm going to enjoy ripping your throat out."

He tried very hard to suppress the shiver that went through him but I saw and smiled. The nameless soldier went to press the button that would send me spasming once more when the cured male stepped out from between the shadowy trees. Still panting from the pain of being electrocuted, my eyes trailed him as he came to a stop in front of me. Curling my lip, I released a low growl at his smug form and straightened out my spine to stand tall.

"Oh, how the mighty have fallen." He cooed, looking me over. "Are you ready to transform into what you were always meant to be?"

"I am what I'm meant to be." I gritted out.

Dull red eyes squinted as his grin widened, "Not yet, you aren't. Right now, you're a monster. A rabid beast that needs to be put down or cured. The moon didn't want us this way, she didn't want her children to be the things of nightmares."

"You'll die moonless for betraying our kind."

My head snapped to the side from the force of his fist to my jaw but my feet stayed rooted in place. Taking a moment, I tried to access the damage from his hit. No loose teeth or cut cheeks, only a busted lip and a definitely swelling jaw. Lifting my hands, I dabbed at my bloody lip but cut my eyes to the forest as a flash of royal blue slipped around the trees.

"I'm saving our kind. I'm doing the moon's will."

Ignoring the odd flash of color, I chuckled as I gathered the blood pooling on my tongue and spit it at his feet, "So the moon...she wants us to be cured?"

His chest heaved in anger, "Of course, she wants us to be cured. To embrace her is to embrace the cure."

"Then...I pray the moon dies out along with its soldiers."

His hand struck out to grab my jaw in his clawed fingers but I dropped low and swiped his legs out from underneath him. The traitor hit the snow covered ground with a loud crunch and I was barely standing up when another electric shock ripped though my body. Hunching my shoulders, I tried to breathe through the ongoing pain refusing to allow any sound to escape.

"Come on, let's get this bitch to The Savior."

Harsh hands latched onto my elbows and my booted feet dug lines into the snow as I was hauled through the trees and into a wide clearing. Blinking, I forced myself to walk on my own two feet and looked around as we went. We had to have been a good distance from the pack because there was no way I wouldn't have realized a camp this big was in our backyard.