Chapter Thirteen: So, You Know?

Arms resting along the back of the couch with my ankles crossed on the coffee table, I kept eyes glued to the window in deep thought. I'd been sitting in this position for over ten hours without a drop of sleep in my system. And since I usually only slept in one hour intervals, the strain of sleep deprivation didn't affect me much. Even if it did, there was no way in hell I would've been able to sleep after hearing the answers that I pulled from the old man.

Light spilled into the room from the window, illuminating the tips of my shoes and leaving the rest of my body in darkness. Deep, almost non-existent breaths kept my heart beat hidden from anyone nearby with the ability to hear it. At the same time, my ears strained to hear any noise coming from within my hearing range that struck me as odd. To say my paranoia was on high alert would be an understatement.

It took hours to get the information out of the old man, I was actually a little impressed with how long he had held out. Doubts about him telling his secrets had begun to creep in when I dug around in his kneecap with my claws. But once I started scraping pieces of bone off, he spilled information so fast I almost missed a few things. The name of the group, their goal, what they believe in, the number of followers and their successes. I knew it all and it was the only other thing besides the person who ripped out my throat all those years ago, to have real fear pumping through my veins. The kind that made my blood run cold and set my brain spinning a mile a minute.

Suddenly, the sound of panting and heavy footsteps entered my hearing range coming from the left. As another set of footsteps, these ones much slower, came from the right. Still not moving from my position, I waited for them to come into view of the window. Through the thin cracks of the window pane the scent of lemons and cigarettes hit my nose from different directions. Theo and Devin. Omicron training. Fuck.

Closing my eyes, I took one last deep breath and pushed everything that wasn't needed at this moment to the side. I already had a meeting planned with the high rankers of the pack to discuss the information I had received. We'd all meet in the conference room at midday so there was no point in dwelling over the information for the time being. It was a useless thing to do anyways, I had a solid plan that I was positive the others would agree with.

Opening my eyes, I took my feet off the coffee table and headed into my room before Theo broke through the clearing. Striding over to the bathroom, I grabbed a hair tie from the sink and pulled my dark hair up into a tight bun at the base of my neck. Smoothing the bumps away, I left the bathroom and went straight into the kitchen while ignoring the bickering going on outside.

Yanking the fridge doors open, I scanned the bare surfaces before taking a small chunk of raw meat and closing the doors. Releasing my fangs, I ripped a piece off the chunk while speeding out the door and onto the porch. Chewing, I watched the boys argue as I continued to eat.

"So, you want to be the pack's next Omicron?" Theo gave a cruel laugh, "You can't be serious. Your the pack fuck up."

Well, that nasty attitude was new.

Devin eyed him before stating dryly, "Better than being the pack's resident golden retriever."

Ripping off another piece of meat, I ignored the blood dripping down my fist to keep my eyes on the entertainment.

"Are you calling me a dog, rank mater?"

"Sorry, let me put it in terms you can understand," Devin took a second and cleared his throat, "Woof. Woof."

I choked down an unexpected chuckle by ripping into my breakfast again.

"Shut your mouth, defect."