Chapter Fifteen: Do Not Mistake Me

Ryan's P.O.V.

"Ryan." A series of knocks on my door immediately followed my name. "Get up. You're going to make us late."

Rolling over to face the wall beside my bed, I groaned, "No. I'm not going."

"You're my Beta. You have to go."

Snuggling deeper into the warm cocoon that was my bed, I ignored him and released a relaxed sigh. There was absolutely no reason for me to get out of bed this early in the morning. My plans for the day consisted of cleaning my room and sorting through what I'd take and what I'd throw away before moving into Kai's tomorrow. Nowhere in my plans did I have room to attend the initiation ceremony for a wolf I immensely disliked.

Slader gave a growl in agreement.

The sound of metal scratching on metal had me twisting around to face the door. In disbelief, I watched the wooden door swing open to reveal Otis standing in the doorway. "You do not have a key to my room."

"This would say otherwise." He replied, swinging a key ring around his pointer finger.

Flopping onto my back, I stared up at the ceiling, "I refuse to go."

"You can't."

"You don't even need me there."

Otis sighed, "Ryan, the entire time that you've been my Beta, you have never missed a ceremony. We both know that you're coming so just get up already."

I squinted my eyes at him for a few seconds before maneuvering myself off of the messy bed. Damn him for being right. The ceremony wasn't only about Jasper but an excuse for the pack to mingle, party and share small concerns with the ranking wolves. It wouldn't be fair to them if their Beta just suddenly decided not to attend. I also couldn't publicly display my dislike for Jasper, not when he was Otis's cousin and soon to be Co-Gamma.

Why no? Candice do.

As I pulled an outfit out of my dresser, I explained to Slader, Candice is allowed certain leeway's. We aren't, you know that. We're too close to the Alpha and too high ranking to show any dislike or favoritism.

Break. Rules.

No, Slader. We're not breaking the rules. I said, pausing mid pants buttoning to make sure he understood. When all he did was huff loudly and start to pace around my mind, I continued dressing.

"I know you don't like him because of his and Kai's past but that was a long time ago."

Looking over at his position by the door, I yanked a dark purple hoodie over my head and asked, "So you're telling me that if you had to be around a man your mate previously slept with no matter how long ago, you'd be completely fine with it?" His green eyes swirled to black before he released an angry growl that had me laughing, "Exactly."

Rolling his eyes, he snapped, "We're not talking about me."

Shaking my head, I fixed my hood and walked passed him out of the room. Following the hall towards the stairs, I took them two at a time before waiting at the bottom for Otis. Taking his time, he pulled on the sleeves of his dark green turtleneck and tightened the belt on his black slacks.

"I thought you didn't like wearing green? Said you felt like a living Christmas ornament."

"I didn't," He said, coming to a stop beside me. "But then someone said it made my eyes look greener."

Amusement slowly filled me, "Mmmmhhh, who is she?"

"What are you talking about?"

Following him through the living room, I shoved his shoulder, "What she-wolf told you that?"