Chapter Ten: Turning on the Heat

Ryan's P.O.V.

"Okay, so following Kai's orders after the shooting. Two more warriors have been added to patrol for each sector, trackers are also scouting the area for any left over evidence as we speak, and all members have been told to keep away from the border until further notice." I informed Otis, while pacing across the front of his desk.

The top of his red head bounced in acknowledgement as he wrote it down.

"Also, the five captured renegades will be here in the next few days for Kai to question. I put a rush on it because I think the renegades are behind the notes."

"I agree, is that all?"

Spinning on my heel, I started walking back to the right,"No, a new day to take the teens into town needs to be set. Their parents went and got things for the household but the teens are bugging me about needing personal items."

He snorted, "Right. Personal items. I'll speak to Kai about it."

"Lastly, a date needs to be set for Jaspers pack initiation and you need a secretary."

With one last squiggle on the page, he looked up, "But I have you."

"Ha. Ha. Asshole." I snarked back, sliding into the leather chair across from him.

Sighing, Otis leaned back in his chair, "Alright. Go ahead. I know you're just dying to talk about her."

My eyes bounced around the room, "I don't want to talk about Kai but if you want to talk about Kai, then we can talk about her."

He rolled his eyes, "Come on, man."

"Something's going on with her, Otis."

"Like what?"

I shook my head, "I can't explain it but when she came back down that tree the other day...the look in her eyes was different."

His face scrunched in confusion, "What do you mean?"

I shook my head again, "The way she looked at us. It was...calculating."

"That's how she always looks at us."

"No, you don't understand. It was like we were suddenly strangers to her."

"So you're saying what exactly?"

"I- I think she saw something up in that tree and she's not telling us." I hated to say it, hell I hated to think it but Kai had changed after coming down that tree. Her ruby eyes held a cold glint to them, one I had only even seen her use when hunting something down. Whatever she saw changed something for her and it hurt that she didn't confide in me.

Otis Ahh-ha'd me, "Didn't she just agree to give you a chance?"

I furrowed my brow, "Uh, yeah. Happiest day of my life but what's that got to do with it?"

"Ryan, friend, buddy. Kai is not the easiest she-wolf to understand, you're being paranoid. You can't read too much into every look or glance she gives you. You also need to give her time to adjust."

"Paranoid? No, I-"

He cut me off, "Plus you were asking her all those questions trying to get to know her. Which I'm sure she didn't answer."

I ran a hand over my face, "You should've seen the look this woman gave me when I asked what her favorite color was," chuckling I continued, "You'd think I asked about her ex's!"

Laughing loudly at the memory, I slowly stopped when I realized Otis was looking anywhere but at me while chucking tensely. "What? What'd I say?"

"Nothing. See! You're proving my point! You're being paranoid. Give Kai time to open up to you. In the meantime don't read into every little thing she does. You're going to drive yourself crazy, Ryan."