Chapter 2

Chara could not believe her eyes as she stared at the furry boss monster. She did not know how much time had passed since she and Asriel died in the throne room, but despite that Toriel hadn't changed one bit. She still wore the same long robe complete with the Delta Rune, the symbol of the royal family, on the front. Her fur was as white and fluffy as it had always been. She had a kind and warm smile on her face as she stood where Flowey once was.

  "What a terrible creature, torturing such a poor, innocent youth." Toriel said. "Ah, do not be afraid my child. I am Toriel, caretaker of the Ruins. I pass through this place everyday to see if anyone has fallen down. You are the first human to come down here in a long time."

  Chara was suddenly reminded of when she herself had fallen down into the Underground, so many years ago, and was found by Asriel.

  "Come! I will guide you through the catacombs." Toriel said as she began walking towards the Ruins' entrance with the human following close behind.

  As they arrived at the entrance Chara noticed what looked like a small twinkling star between the two staircases leading up to the archway. Chara knew that it was a save point. She had seen them all over the Underground when she was alive, but none of the monsters could, only her. The human must have seen it as well as they walked right up to it and placed their hand on it.

  "The shadow of the ruins looms above you, filling you with determination." Chara said teasingly, knowing the human couldn't hear her anyway.

  Toriel walked into the next room and the human followed with Chara floating close behind. In the next room there was a closed door, six buttons on the floor, and lever on the wall.

  "Welcome to your new home, innocent one." Toriel said to the human. "Allow me to educate you on the operation of the Ruins." Toriel proceeded to step on the left and right buttons, avoiding the middle ones, and throwing the lever, opening the door.

  "The Ruins are full of puzzles. Ancient fusions between diversions and doorkeys. One must solve them to move from room to room. Please adjust yourself to the sight of them." She said before walking through the newly opened door.

  I see they changed the puzzles in this area. Chara thought as she and the human followed Toriel. I wonder what else has changed since I died.

  In the next room there were a couple of small channels filled with water and a short bridge over each. On the north wall there were three switches, two of which appeared to have writing next to them.

  "To make progress here, you will need to trigger several switches." Toriel told the human. "Do not worry, I have labelled the ones that you need to flip."

  Chara giggled, "That's just like her to practically give the answer away on a silver platter."

  The human flipped the labelled switches without even bothering to read the labels themselves. The last switch lowered spikes that had been blocking the room's exit.

  "Splendid! I am proud of you, little one." Toriel praised the human. "Let us move onto the next room."

  In the next room Chara immediately noticed the dummy to the right of the entrance as Toriel said, "As a human living in the Underground, monsters may attack you. You will need to be prepared for this situation."

  Chara was slightly alarmed by this. When she had fallen down into the Underground almost all of the monsters were peaceful. She thought the only exception nowadays was that talking flower. She remembered the only monster that had "attacked" her was Asriel with his tickle attack while they were playing in the castle garden.