Chapter 13

Chara was speechless, her old friend, the heroine of all monsters, the leader of the royal guard that never quit, had died right in front of her. Killed by Frisk just like Toriel and Papyrus and everyone else that got in her way. Feeling helpless she began to sob while Frisk stood there catching her breath.

  Now what? Chara thought as tears ran down her cheeks. Can't anybody stop her?

  She looked around hoping that someone would appear and stop the human that was killing her friends and family, only to see Flowey watching from the other side of the bridge with a twisted smile on his face.

  Chara turned around, not wanting to look at Flowey's evil grin, and noticed that Frisk had started to move on. She quickly floated after her but said nothing as more tears ran silently down her face. They came across another save point in front of a large archway of boulders. Frisk saved and immediately made her way under the archway. As they followed the path there was a large sign on the cavern wall that normally had "Welcome to Hotland" in bright red letters scrolling past but, it was currently shut off. Frisk ignored it as she continued following the path leading into Hotland.

  They soon passed by an empty sentry station, walked over a bridge that was hanging over a lake of hot lava, and passed by a water cooler that had been placed on the other side of the bridge for some reason. The next area had another save point and a huge building with the word "Lab" above the sliding doors.

  Chara remembered seeing the lab many times. But, she and Asriel had never been inside before. The head scientist, Ẉ̴̢̻̣̥̖̊͝.̴̧̫̙͉̪͑̆́̀̒̇̕͝ ̷̢̧̹̖̪̝̥̩̘̱͈̪̭̳̞̉̓͊D̴̎͑͂̑̑̂͒̏̐͜͝.̷͓̰̾̊̇̏̽̈́͂͛̚ ̸̯͑Ḡ̶̢̲̘̱͙̙͇͙̥͎̬̯̎a̶̞͚̱̻͓̼͇͇͇͍͗͑͊͘s̶͔͖͆͛ͅť̷̛͙̬͐́̅̊̀̉̓̀̔͋̚͝͝e̵̡̨̥̘̩̹̯̓̀͛͊̕r̸̥̞͉̲͓̪̼̻̄̒̄̾̊͂̂͜͜ had always said the equipment inside was dangerous and fragile and that he didn't want them to get hurt. Chara couldn't help but feel a little bit of excitement as Frisk moved toward the doors. She had always wanted to see what it looked like inside.

  Inside the lab, it was brightly lit, on a wall there was a large monitor that was showing Frisk and every move she was currently making. Chara looked around but didn't see any cameras, Frisk however didn't even glance at the monitor as she walked straight past it. Past the monitor was a desk that had an old computer and was covered in paperwork, as well as a teacup in the shape of a yellow lizard, and a figurine of a female human with cat ears. Next to the desk was a refrigerator and a large bag of dog food.

  Frisk opened the fridge and took out a package of Instant Noodles, immediately eating them dry and regaining her lost HP, before taking another package and putting it in her inventory. A few feet away was a large hole in the wall and standing in front of the hole was a robot in the shape of a rectangle holding a microphone. The robot stood on a single wheel, the robot's face was made of several square yellow lights, underneath the lights were four dials.

  Noticing Frisk the robot said in it's autonomous voice, "OH, THERE YOU ARE. YOU UGLY LITTLE CREATURE. YOU'VE MADE QUITE A NAME FOR YOURSELF. SUCH INFAMY...! I'M IMPRESSED." The robot proceeded to clap slowly before continuing. "OH. YES. IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR ALPHYS, SHE'S NOT HERE. WHILE YOU WERE DOING YOUR, AHEM, THING... SHE WAS RUNNING AROUND EVACUATING PEOPLE TO SAFETY. NOW THEY'RE IN A PLACE WHERE YOU'LL NEVER GET TO THEM. DECIDING NOT TO FIGHT YOU. MY MY, SHE REALLY IS THE ONLY SMART ONE, ISN'T SHE?"

  Frisk smiled sickeningly as she took a step towards the robot.

  Noticing this the robot said, "OH? HOW SASSY. YOU'RE JUST ITCHING TO GET YOUR HANDS ON ME AREN'T YOU? WELL... T-O-O B-A-D! THIS WORLD NEEDS STARS MORE THAN IT NEEDS CORPSES! TOODLES!"

  Before Frisk could move, the robot sped out of the lab's exit. Chara glanced over at Frisk, who had a look of disappointment on her face. Sighing she began moving towards the exit, passing a door that sat between the hole in the wall and an escalator leading upstairs. Back out in the lava filled path of Hotland, Chara noticed that Frisk was sweating profusely and didn't blame her. Chara remembered that Hotland had always been, well hot. She had always wondered how Asriel could stand being in such high temperatures with all the soft white fur he had.

  "It takes some getting use to." he had always said with a big grin on his face. "But, it's not so bad once you do."

  Chara was suddenly torn from her memories by a Vulkin crying out in pain. The small and kind walking mini-volcano never stood a chance as it crumbled into dust. Chara wished she was still alive with Asriel and that Frisk was nowhere near here.

  Frisk followed the path that led up onto some conveyor belts that helped speed up her walking, with Chara, unable to keep up on her own, being dragged behind Frisk. The next area had a save point that Frisk used before killing a few more Vulkins. Chara hadn't noticed before, but now every time Frisk got into a FIGHT with a monster she would put on a gleeful smile. It was as if the more LOVE Frisk got, the more she enjoyed FIGHTing and killing everyone. Chara shivered, wishing more than anything that this was all just a bad dream and that she was still floating around the empty void.

  They entered an area where the path was broken up by gaps in the ground. The monsters had placed vents that would propel people across the gaps and have them land safely on the other side, allowing them to make their way through Hotland unimpeded. Frisk was about to jump on the first one when she got into a FIGHT with a Tsunderplane, a strange monster that looked like an airplane but much smaller and wore a hat with ribbons. These monsters always had a hard time being able to tell how they really felt. Frisk didn't even hesitate before she slashed at the monster killing it.

  "B-but I never got to..." it said before falling to the ground and exploding into dust.

  Frisk smiled in satisfaction as she jumped onto the vent which propelled her over a gap and onto the next chunk of path. Chara began to wonder why Frisk was doing all of this. What could possibly be her goal? All of this death that she was bringing to monster-kind, what was it all for?

   Could it be that she really does hate monsters? Chara thought as they moved into a new area. Did something happen between her and another monster?

  They entered an area that had a long path covered in metal plating, and on the left side were what looked like large laser pointers that were shut off. As Chara and Frisk walked towards the end of the straight path Chara resolved to ask Frisk why she was doing this and why she hated monsters so much.

  The new area they entered had a crossroads separated by gaps in the path with the center chunk of land having a vent the was rotating to point at each of the four paths, the north path leading right to a set of large metal doors that, strangely were wide open.

  Deciding now was the best time Chara asked timidly, "Frisk, why do hate monsters so much?"

  Frisk froze in place so suddenly that Chara almost floated right through her.

  Frisk didn't answer Chara for several seconds until she said in a quiet voice, "I don't hate monsters." without looking at her.

  "But, you're killing everybody. Why would you do such a thing?" Tears started to form in Chara's crimson eyes as her voice began to waver. "What could monsters have done to you that would justify killing them all? Why are you doing this?!"

  Frisk said nothing for a long time until finally she turned around with that sickening smile on her face again before saying, "Because it's so much fun."

  It felt like someone had stabbed an icicle into Chara's still heart. This human, no not even humans were this cruel, this thing in front of her, this was a true monster.

  *32 Left*