Chapter 8

Chara and Frisk had finally made it to Snowdin town. Chara remembered her and Asriel visiting here many times. They would play with the other monster children, helping them make snowmen and snowmonsters, as well as having snowball fights. They would also go to the library and read books or draw pictures. Occasionally, Toriel and Asgore would come along as well and they would all stop by Grillby's to have hot chocolate and burgers with fries.

  But now, Chara saw that the town was completely empty. No kids were running around, playing in the snow. There were no lights on in any of the houses. It was completely silent.

  Frisk walked over to a save point that sat in front of what looked like two connected houses. There was also a box next to the save point which she ignored.

  "I wonder where everyone is." Chara said after Frisk finished organizing her inventory. "This place used to be filled with so many friendly monsters, but now it's a ghost town."

  Frisk looked at Chara before shaking her head. Chara, confused wondered why Frisk was giving her a disappointed look. She soon realized what she had said and couldn't help but giggle.

  Frisk and Chara entered the left side of the connected houses and saw that it was a small shop. However there was nobody behind the counter, instead there was a note. Chara looked over Frisk's shoulder as she picked it up and read it. It said, Please don't hurt my family.

  Sighing, Frisk put the note back down before moving around the counter and taking a bandanna.

  "Frisk, what are you doing?" Chara said as Frisk walked back to the front of the counter. "You can't just take that, it's stealing."

  Frisk laughed bitterly as she took the ribbon out of her hair and tied the bandanna around her head before saying, "After all of the monsters I've killed, you have a problem with me stealing? It's not like it matters anyway, there's nobody here that can stop me, they've all run away to escape the murderous human."

  "Frisk, I know I've only just met you recently. But I can tell that deep down you're really a good person. You might not be on the right path right now, but if you could just show a little bit of kindness, be merciful, I know that you'll slowly move onto a better path."

  Frisk looked at Chara, but said nothing as she walked out of the shop. Chara sighed and followed her back out into the empty town.

  Frisk started moving through the small snow covered town while Chara followed, looking around to see if there was anybody left. They passed by a pine tree that was decorated with lights and small trinkets and was topped with a star. Surrounding the tree were several gifts wrapped in colorful paper and tied with ribbons. 

  Both Chara and Frisk were surprised to see that beside the tree was a yellow monster kid. He had no arms and wore a yellow and brown stripped shirt.

  After noticing Frisk he said, "Yo, everyone ran away and hid somewhere. Man, adults can be so dumb sometimes, haha... Don't they know we've got Undyne to protect us!?"

  Frisk said nothing as she passed by the monster kid. Chara noticed that Grillby's was still there, but had been turned into a bar and grill. As they walked further through town they passed by the library. Chara and Asriel always laughed when they saw that the library's sign was ironically misspelled as Librarby. She recalled once, while waiting for Toriel to finish getting biscicles for her and Asriel, reading one of the books in the library.

  The book was about monster anatomy and how their bodies interacted with their SOULs. The only paragraph she could remember said, Because they are made of magic, monsters' bodies are attuned to their SOUL. If a monster doesn't want to fight, its defenses will weaken. And the crueler the intentions of our enemies, the more their attacks will hurt us. Therefore, if a being with a powerful SOUL struck with the desire to kill... She couldn't remember reading anything else after that. But, she felt a shiver go down her spine as she realized that nearly every monster Frisk had come across had died in a single hit.

  Next to the library was a two story house that was not there when Chara and Asriel were still alive. It had two mailboxes out front, one of which was literally overflowing with mail. The front door had a pine tree wreath hanging on it. The house itself had many multicolored lights hanging off the roof. Next to the house was a tool shed.

  As they reached the edge of town and started moving deeper into the Underground, a snowstorm started up. Chara got closer to Frisk as it was beginning to get harder to see. Frisk suddenly stopped without saying anything.

  "Frisk is something wrong?" Chara said. Frisk simply stared ahead.

  Chara followed her gaze as the snow started to clear up a little she saw in front of them the outline of Papyrus.

  "HALT, HUMAN!" he said in a commanding voice.

  Frisk took a few steps forward.

  "HEY, QUIT MOVING WHILE I'M TALKING TO YOU! I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS, HAVE SOME THINGS TO SAY. FIRST: YOU'RE A FREAKING WEIRDO! NOT ONLY DO YOU NOT LIKE PUZZLES. BUT THE WAY YOU SHAMBLE ABOUT FROM PLACE TO PLACE... THE WAY YOUR HANDS ARE ALWAYS COVERED IN DUSTY POWDER. IT FEELS... LIKE YOUR LIFE IS GOING DOWN A DANGEROUS PATH. HOWEVER! I, PAPYRUS, SEE GREAT POTENTIAL WITHIN YOU! EVERYONE CAN BE A GREAT PERSON IF THEY TRY! AND ME, I HARDLY HAVE TO TRY AT ALL!!! NYEH HEH HEH HEH HEH HEH!!!"

  Frisk took a few more steps forward.

  "Frisk, please..." Chara said, but Frisk ignored her.

  "HEY, QUIT MOVING!" Papyrus said, slightly irritated. "THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! HUMAN! I THINK YOU ARE IN NEED OF GUIDANCE! SOMEONE NEEDS TO KEEP YOU ON THE STRAIGHT AND NARROW! BUT WORRY NOT! I, PAPYRUS, WILL GLADLY BE YOUR FRIEND AND TUTOR! I WILL TURN YOUR LIFE AROUND!!!

  Frisk took several more steps forward.

  "Frisk, please, I know you can do some good. Please just let Papyrus help you find a better path." Chara begged.

  "I SEE YOU ARE APPROACHING! ARE YOU OFFERING A HUG OF ACCEPTANCE? WOWIE!! MY LESSONS ARE ALREADY WORKING!! I, PAPYRUS, WELCOME YOU WITH OPEN ARMS!"

  Papyrus opened his arms, waiting to receive a hug.

  "Frisk, please take this chance to do the right thing." Chara said as she looked between Papyrus and Frisk. "I know you can do good, you just have to try."

  "Chara." Frisk said. "Shut up."

  Frisk slashed at Papyrus with all her might, bringing his HP to zero in an instant. Papyrus had a look of surprise as his head fell off and landed in his hands.

  "W-WELL, THAT'S NOT WHAT I EXPECTED..." he said as his body disintegrated into dust and his head landed on the snow-covered ground. "BUT... ST... STILL! I BELIEVE IN YOU! YOU CAN DO A LITTLE BETTER! EVEN IF YOU DON'T THINK SO! I... I PROMISE!"

  Before Chara could say anything, Frisk walked over to what was left of Papyrus and crushed his skull into dust beneath her boot, killing him.

  *Zero Left*

  *Determination*