Mother/Daughter

Faith's POV

I made my choice. I made my choice and it was the right one.

I brush the hair out of B's face as I watch her sleep.

I asked for the truth and I got it. I may not have gotten the truth right away like I should have but she did give it to me. And what's that old saying? Better late than never? Now that she knows better than to keep me in the dark, we can be honest with each other and work together to build a completely open relationship. Knowing that neither of us will ever be alone again.

God I sound like a romance novel or something. I know it's not gonna happen overnight, there's no light switch we can flip that will make everything work out. But telling me the truth about Dawn, and I do believe it's the truth now, is what we needed to go in the right direction. I wasn't really sure it was the truth at first I mean, it's crazy. I can't have a... daughter.

It's insane I mean, I don't know how to be a mother, I never really had one to learn from in the first place, it was completely insane. But the more time I spent with Dawn, after getting over the shock of what B told me, the more I realized just how much I loved that crazy kid. Sure she was kinda weird. She has some strange tastes in food, the peanut butter and anchovy's pizza kinda sticks in my mind, but something about all those quirks just made me love her more.

But the weirdest thing was me. The more time I spent with Dawn the more I worried about her, and it wasn't so much the things that go bump in the night that worried me, it was the other stuff. I mean I did worry about the vampires and demons and the Hellmouth and all that, but I've always worried about that stuff, it's kinda hard not to in this town.

No my worries became of the 'Dawn if you don't stop doing that you're going to trip and fall' or the 'Dawn don't talk with your mouth full or you're going to choke' variety. Me of all people worrying about that kind of stuff. It was a pretty weird experience. But there I was, telling Dawn to sit up straight and pointing at people was rude and it wasn't until she started looking at me funny that it hit me what I was doing. I was trying to be a mother... to Dawn.

That's when I realized Buffy was right, what the monk said was true. Dawn... was my daughter. It's still hard to accept sometimes, but after everything it's impossible to deny. Much like my feelings for B. No matter what happens, nothing will ever change my feelings for her. But I didn't do this for her or because I have feelings for her, I did this for me. I did this because I believe we can move on from this and become not only better people separately but grow as a couple too.

I run my thumb along one of the almost healed cuts on her face.

Thank god she's gonna be all right. I think I would've gone nuts if she had died... again.

I lean in and kiss her gently on the forehead before snuggling up next to her.

I whisper to her gently as I close my eyes.

"I love you B, you and our daughter. Nothing will ever change that."

Dawn's POV

What the hell is going on? People are going nuts left, right and centre these days. First, Buffy gets captured by that demon lady Glory and she lets her torture her. How insane is that? Why would anyone let themselves get tortured over some key thing? Keys are stupid, if she really wanted in whatever this key opens she should just smash it, or kick down the door or whatever, that's what I would do if I were super-demon strong.

But no, she's gotta be all insane and use the key. Buffy should've just given her this key thing. I mean, it's gotta be better than getting tortured by some sick demon-y thing. It's not like this key thing will end the world right?

I roll over and bury my face in my pillow.

And even if it was all end of the world-ish Buffy would still stop it, she always stops it. It doesn't matter what it is she always saves the world. So why not just give up the key and then save the world? Or destroy it even, that's what I would do. If you destroy the key then Glory can't open whatever it is she wants to open can she? Any sane person would do that, but not Buffy.

But when it comes to acting insane I'd say Faith is the winner. The way she left the hospital the day Buffy woke up was just nuts. Me, Xander, and Anya were sitting in the hospital lobby playing Crazy Eights when all of the sudden she comes storming down the hall mumbling something about how it's not true. We followed her to find out what was going on but when Xander tried to stop her she shoved him out of the way.

She shoved him so hard he crashed into the wall and she didn't even stop. Not until I called her name that is, then she stopped dead. After a few seconds of just standing there she turns around and looks at me before looking at Xander. Then she got with the apologizing and asking if Xander's okay. Anya just glared at her as she made sure her boyfriend was all right. Faith helped Xander up after he assured us he's okay despite his life flashing before his eyes.

Faith apologized a few more times before saying she just needed some time alone before apologizing a couple more times and then leaving. That isn't the most insane stuff she did though, that happened after. For like a week after that she completely avoided going to see Buffy by saying she was trying to track down Glory, with no luck. When Faith tried to spend week two tracking Glory we called her on it, telling her it was no use.

Luckily she decided we were right, not like last time, and stopped. But when I said we should go see a movie or something fun she kinda looked at me funny before saying she didn't want to. Since when is Faith not ready to have fun? In all the time I've known her she's never turned down a chance to have fun, but this time she did. It wasn't until a week later of her avoiding me AND Buffy that I started to really think she'd gone insane when she asked if I wanted to go to a movie or something.

All of the sudden all she wanted to do was spend time with me, but I was worried about my sister and every time I said we should go see her Faith avoided it any way she could. She said stuff like 'I don't really feel like going to see her right now. I'd rather spend time with you', she even went so far as to say 'That wouldn't be any fun, I wanna have some fun with you'.

So I went and tried to have fun with her and it was, for a while. But after a couple days of movies and pizza and stuff she started to get weird on me. She kept telling me to be more careful, or not make fun of people who look funny, it was weird. I mean, Faith's the fun one. She's the one who does dangerous stuff. She's always the first one to make fun of someone and she never tells me what to do.

She's always been cooler and funnier and more interesting than everyone else, but ever since she left the hospital the day Buffy woke up she's been less fun. I mean going to the movies and playing card games and teaching her to play board games and stuff is fun and all but it's the other stuff that made her kinda weird. She was acting all mom-ish. She used to tell me stuff like 'stealing is only wrong if you get caught', not that I believed her but it was still fun to hear her say it.

Except now all I hear her say is 'don't steal, stealing is wrong' and 'stop cheating', which made her less fun to be around. She's still fun, and like 100 times cooler than Buffy but it's just... getting weird being around her when she pretending to be Mom.

And I think it's somehow my fault. I know they said it's not my fault, but then why is Faith trying to be Mom? Why is everyone starting to act nuts around me? It doesn't make sense unless whatever's going on is some how about me. Whatever it is, I don't think they're going to tell me, so I'll have to find out on my own somehow.

 Whatever it is, I don't think they're going to tell me, so I'll have to find out on my own somehow