The Key to the End

Faith's POV

She's talking to us... that is something, isn't it? If we can just keep talking, and reassuring Dawn that everything will work out I think we'll be okay. We can take her home and start trying to live our lives again. Maybe even work at being a regular family. Of course there's nothing regular about this family. A mother, her two slayer daughters and their kid. Their kid who used to be a mystical key to some sort of lock. Definitely not your normal family.

I squeeze B's hand just to know she's with me in this. She looks at me and there's no doubt in my mind, not that there ever is.

We love Dawn. We have to keep her safe from Glory and everything else that comes our way. Keeping Dawn from Glory may be the only way to keep the world safe, and obviously Dawn too. We have to find a way to stop Glory before she finds out. But first we have to worry about Dawn and how she's doing, before we worry about...

"Ben..."

Ben?

B stands up to meet him as he comes this way.

He doesn't look so good.

Buffy calls out to him.

"Ben!"

"What's up B?"

"I just want to thank him again for what he did for Dawn."

"Oh, yeah we should do that."

I still don't know what's up with him, but he did do something good for Dawn, and for us. We should thank him for that.

Buffy calls out to him again.

"Ben!"

He turns down a hall about 10 feet away, completely ignoring us. B looks at me and I just shrug.

"I'll go see if he's okay."

She goes toward him. Everything that bothers me about Ben tells me to go with her, so I do.

"Maybe he's just busy, doesn't have time to talk."

"Maybe, but he didn't look that great, and he did help us with Dawn. He's a friend."

"Okay..."

She stops as we hit the corner Ben turned down.

"You don't think so?"

"No I do I mean, he's been great. He's helped take care of me, you, Joyce and even Dawn. He was the only one who was involved with all of us. Don't you find that a little odd for an intern?"

"True..."

"And he's just sorta creepy himself. Something about him bothers me."

"They could just be short staffed after you cleaned them out of their Omega members. But you're right. Something is going on with him. Whatever it is we'll ask him about it after we thank him."

She starts to go after him again and I do the same. We get a few inches from him and Buffy tries to get his attention again.

"Hey Ben!"

He doesn't respond until she grabs his shoulder and he turns around, pushing her hand off him.

"What do you...? Buffy, Faith, what are you still doing here?"

B and I both look at each other.

"We're waiting for the psychiatrist to come back and speak to Dawn again so we can take her home."

"Dawn's still here?"

"Uh, yeah..."

"You have to get her out of here."