chapter 6: Meeting Cher

Sether

Passing my head out of the hole of my white chef's uniform and launching it in the washing machine, I grab the black uniform with golden bands and put it on quickly, and I do the same thing with my pants.

I can't hide how exhausted I am, the dark shadows and wrinkles on my face can probably show it all.

Working on a cruise is a living pain, but working on the Saint Jones is more than a living pain, It's hell.

Sometimes I ask myself how it is possible for me to have two jobs on this cruise, it's absurd. I'm a chef, I should only be in the kitchen, cooking my delicious, impeccable dishes, wearing my cooking apron, right? But no, I also have this other job, being a private server, which means that I have to serve the clients directly in their cabin, which is as annoying as anything else.

I've been working on this cruise for two years now, and during those two years of experience, I've never seen anyone do what I'm doing, and the worse part is that I can't place a word, to speak against the choices of the leaders would be a disaster.

"Sether, the lunch's ready!" Rebecca enters the room and yells as if I weren't a few feet away from her.

"Yeah, I'm ready," I reply and adjust the collar of the uniform. I take a last look in the length mirror which is fixed to the white wall and grab my sunglasses, putting them on quickly.

"So, here you go–..." as soon as her eyes meet my face, she stops talking.

She sighs and asks, "Aren't you tired of wearing that?" Well, Rebecca is like Barry, but his female version. Both of them are in their thirties and single, and of course, when it comes to advise, you can knock on their door, they'll gladly help you.

"I'm not," I reply and try to get past by her to grab the box of lunch that is placed behind her, on the silver table, but she stands right in front of me, preventing me from walking away from her.

"You are such a handsome man, you shouldn't be hiding this beautiful face of yours," she says and strokes my jaw with her fingers. Long nails brushing against my skin.

"The world is waiting for its flower to blossom, Sether. You need to get out of this bubble that you create, you can't live like that forever."

Her voice trails out of her mouth like the voice of an angel, she speaks with graciousness and delicacy, her eyes are so soft, so full of love. Rebecca is somewhat like my mother, my mother on this cruise, who seems to be my shield out of the world. A breath of fresh air, that's what she is.

"Don't you want to find someone again? Don't you want to fall in love, and build a beautiful family later? Don't you want to show the true you to the world?" She asks and with each questions, her finger touches my chest.

I sigh and rub the back of my neck. Her words are slightly more plausible than those of Barry. Indeed, she is saying the complete truth, I know that what I'm doing can be described as 'mean', I can be seen as the wicked guy, but I have my reasons, that I don't want to share with her or anyone else. I'm sure she won't understand a thing.

"I need to go, the client is waiting for the lunch," I walk beside her and grab the box. I walk out of the kitchen quickly, pushing this conversation at the back of my head, though it's utterly difficult to do so.

~°~

I arrive at the door of the client who ordered six dishes for lunch, well, this person must be really hungry, because on my note it's written for 'one', which means that no one is eating with him... him? Stupid as I am, I don't even know if it's a woman, a man or even a kid.