chapter 10: Hard thing

Cher

"I don't see you!" Dad yells, his massive voice echoes in the room and it squeaks my ears and makes me wince.

"Dad, please, you do not need to talk too loud, I will hear you, so, please, speak... normally," I say, looking at the black screen.

Yes, making video call with him is always the hardest thing to do. He is so bad at it- not with the phone, oh no, but only with the video calls- I guess he pressed on something he should not have pressed that made the video disappear, and I tried to helped him, but sadly, dad is... dad.

"It's frustrating," he says, his voice getting out as a whining that makes a small laugh to leave my mouth.

"Ask Chenle to help you?" I ask and I await his answer, while staring at my pale pink nail polish that I have put on this early morning.

"She went out with her friends," he replies.

"Ah, well, no videos, only the call remains." I laugh.

I would love to see him, it is been three days now and three days without seeing my dad it is crazy. We saw each other night and day, every day. We have our routine and now it is starting to weight on my heart as I realize that I will not see him any time soon.

"How is the trip going?" He asks.

Well, what should I say to that? It is quite different. I met a guy, and guess what, he captured my attention at the very first time. I made a fool of myself in front of him, more than once. Am I having fun? Oh, yes, I am having fun, but in my own way, like reading and going out for a few hours, then coming back inside the cabin, it may sound boring, but for me it is not. He will not understand.

"It is going great, dad. Everything is perfect here, you should have seen the sea, it is so wonderful," I say.

"Then, show me Cherry!" He says, excitement twirling in his voice.

"I am in bed, I will not go out the way I am," I say.

Indeed, I am in bed, my head resting against two pillows, enough for my neck to feel better. Today, I woke up at exactly 5 am and started my physical exercises, I thought that starting it in here would be better than hitting the gym directly, besides, the gym can wait, it is only one floor away, plus, in my room, I feel more comfortable to sweat as much as I want without my face twitching or my scars​ to appear.

"Fine, you will show me later," he says.

"Of course, dad," I reply.

"Have you already reached a destination?" He asks. Loud noises can be heard in the back, which forces me to move the phone away from my face.

"Sorry Cherry, it was the blender."

"What are you doing, cooking?" I ask with curiosity because dad hardly uses anything that exists in the kitchen, except the microwave and the coffee maker, he does not use much.

"Uh, I'm doing nothing... don't worry," he replies immediately.

"Well, you were saying," he continues.

"What?" I reply, my eyes not leaving my nails as I realize that part of it has mixed with another colour. Ah stupid nail polish.

"The destinations, have you already reached one or?"

"Oh, no I have not yet, we are still on the cruise, there are maybe six to seven more days before we reached the Caribbean."

"Ah, I understand, but is the Caribbean the last destination?"

"Oh no, South America is the last destination, more specifically Brazil, you know that I already told you all of that, right?"

Sometimes he forgets about a lot of things and I understand him, he has been through so much and he was always exhausted because of work and us. He used to work with my grandfather who owns a hotel in Spain, but dad stopped working there because of us, and now he works for himself, he has his own library.