4

I patted my hair down and adjusted the office skirt I wore.

My heels clicked as I made my way towards my office at the end of the hallway. I worked as Secretary to the Executive Head of LakeLand Magazine. And for those of you thinking differently, yes, I actually have a life outside killing and stalking people.

I had a job and I loved my job. It was behind the scenes and totally undercover. A Secretary was told a lot of things in confidence and as long as that Secretary had a good name, a lot of people could talk to her.

My office was also a beautiful addition to this job. It was right on the way to the Executive's, but had a clear window view from it's thirtieth floor all the way up.

I reached the door that held my name plaque, or the name I used for this job. It read: 'Hilary Jefferson, Secretary to Executive Head'.

I unlocked the door and stepped inside. I laid my bag on the large mahogany desk I owned and placed the coat on my arm in the small closet provided. Picking my extra set of keys, I opened up the Executive's office and got busy arranging.

I placed her favourite order of coffee, from the machine in my office, on her table. The last three months magazine beside it. She liked all her pencils neatly sharpened, her pens arranged in a strict colour code: Red because she marked people's work boring, Green because an article wasn't labeled right, Black because there were spelling errors and Blue which was hardly ever used if she was at least satisfied with your work.

I drew up the blinds to her windows just the way she liked; not too bright, not too dark. The seats facing her desk were to not be too close either. The cleaner sometimes moved it.

I finished just as the doors to my office opened and Maria Magnela of LakeLand Magazine breezed in. I quickly moved to her, removing her thick Armani coat, taking her Chanel bag and the files in her hand. Her intercom rang as she walked into her office. I looked at her for permission. She simply nodded. With the press of a button, I recognized the voice of Peter Evans, one of the company's prize photographers and a key informant to me.

"Good morning, Mrs. Magnela. There's good news. The sales for the scoop of your articles are up and the two pictures you suggested already have two thousand views from last night."

"Well, I expected five thousand, Evans. I need higher ratings. By the end of the afternoon, I want a million. I'm not giving you a whole page in the magazine for nothing," Maria's voice rang clear, full of authority. She sipped her coffee and nodded. A good sign. She liked it.

I listened carefully to Peter's voice, while waiting for Maria's dismissal.

"Yes, ma'am. I hope our contract still stands. The photos in the magazine will take initial sales to about two million buyers," Peter's voice stood with confidence. This was why I took him up on his work. He knew how to talk business.

"Of course. And then you get to showcase them at Ryan's museum for a week. At most two. The rich ones pay more to see the product live."

"I understand, ma'am. I'll get back to you by late afternoon."

Maria pressed the end button and moved around her desk. Her coffee was almost finished.

"I hope you've canceled my two o'clock appointment. I want some peace and quiet for this afternoon," She began.

I answered automatically, "Yes ma'am. I'll also let you know when Sarah wants to come in today."

Sarah was her daughter who was studying in England. She came once or twice every year to spend time with her mother.

"Of course. What's my first appointment?," She finished her coffee, handed the cup to me and moved to one of the book shelves behind her.

"Your interview with Chief Andrews from the CIA. You haven't decided if I'm going with you yet. You suggested Amelia or Roger as a substitute."

"Cancel them. You're coming," She answered.

"Yes, ma'am."

Perks of being a trustworthy assistant. I attended to record for her, but the information almost always helped me.

"Get ready. We'll be leaving for the meeting in twenty minutes," She announced walking back to her desk.

"It's already started," I answered, although I knew what she would say. The answer she always gave.

"Don't you know? The Queen waits for no one. Her subjects always wait on her."

Maria Magnela was my mentor in this way. She didn't take bullshit from anyone and none of her enemies ever survived.

Ever.