38

Damon's POV

She must have discovered the tracker.

Because by the time my men had arrived, the home had been cleared but not before it had been bombed and there had been signs of a struggle. The trail had grown cold from there.

We'd been sitting ducks all over again. Even more so when I realized we were low on weapons stock. After a meeting that same evening with my men, I was ready for bed. I walked up to my floor, my mind whirring over the possible places Scarlett could be. She had so far proved she could hide in plain sight and no one would know.

As I stepped to my room door, I felt a certain change in the atmosphere. Firstly, the lights from the room were peeking from beneath the door but no shadows moved. Secondly, I could hear a low murmur of voices. It sounded like it was from the television, but I hadn't left it on.

I sighed and opened the door. The room was still dark but the curtains were open and revealed the sky. Lights from outside filtered in and aided me to see the figure resting on my bed. Her body faced the TV but I could tell she knew I was here. Proven when she slowly rose a gun to my direction.

I walked in and closed the door behind me, opting to rest on it as I folded my arms and watched her.

"I'm starting to think this is your hideout after a game of hide-and-seek," I spoke.

She didn't reply immediately. Her head lolled to the side before turning to my direction. She smiled slowly but I caught the tiredness and... pain?... hidden in her expression.

"Think of it more as a batcave. It's got so much cool stuff and it's the perfect place to get away."

I took a step forward when she rose the gun higher. I rose a brow in return, "Should I be scared of you pointing a gun at me?"

She smiled again, "No, but you should be scared that your offenses against me are piling up."

I was confused. She read my expression and licked her lips before answering, "You blow up my car, then you blow up my house and sent a guy to kill me."

I was still confused, "I didn't-"

She interrupted me with a low groan of pain. She stuffed her head in the pillow for a second before she sat up on her knees and reached for her back, "This hurts so fuckin' much."

I watched as she rose her arms and in one swift move, had removed her the plain white tee she was wearing. My eyes were immediately drawn to the black net bra she had on. There was no way to pull my eyes from her cleavage until my eyes drifted down to her torso. Her torso was covered in only few scars and yet her skin shone. I stood there frozen, my eyes worshipping her body.

Until I noticed the red stain on the back of the shirt she'd flung to the floor. She moved off the bed to stand but she wobbled and was about to fall off when I ran and grabbed her waist. I tried to ignore the feeling of her hot skin through my shirt and the feel of her body pressed on mine. Her head fell onto my shoulder in pain and I noticed the shards of glass and blood on her back.

What had happened?

"Hey. You're gonna have to stay still. Let me get a kit," I spoke as I tried to steady her on the bed. I hadn't moved two steps away when she stumbled out of the bed again. I watched her walk over a glass table at one end of the room, grab the bottle of whiskey and started to down it. I moved onto my bathroom and looked through a few cabinets before picking out the heavy duty first aid kit. Every bedroom in the mansion had one, in case of emergencies.

I walked back into the bedroom where she laid on her stomach, a pillow propped under her. Her eyes stayed on the TV watching the current movie and she occasionally sipped on the bottle of whiskey she held in her left hand. I dropped the ad-kit on the bed and used a wet cloth I brought from the bathroom to clean some of the blood. She squirmed and whined whenever I came close to any wounds.

"You have to stay still, Scarlett," I muttered. Nice to know Scarlett was surprisingly much more quiet drunk than when sober. She moved again, just as I removed a large piece of glass from her back. I grabbed unto both of her wrists and held her forward. Before I thought of my next move, I had already swung my legs over and straddled the back of her waist. I froze in my place and was jerked back to reality when Scarlett moved again and I felt every delicious curve of hers rub against me.

Fuck...

I couldn't deny how hard that made me, even more when I tried my best to focus back on my task at hand. The sensation of her warm skin engaged my fantasies too much. I quickly finished up and wiped off the remaining blood with another wet cloth before helping her into a shirt of mine and laying her in bed.

I poured myself a glass of scotch and walked over to the large glass window wall. I looked out and over my estate, trying to clear my head from Scarlett. I hardly knew her and yet everything she did rubbed off on me in one way or another.

I stared back at my estate. The one thing my father had trusted me with that I hadn't screwed up. Everything else in my hand had seemed to fail.

My father always thought it best to have spies everywhere so that no matter who planned against you, you were always one step ahead. That was how he'd gotten whiff of the plan to kill his heir and take over the Mafia kingdom. He had sent my sister and I to a safe house with his most trusted guards, Mike's father and Kate. My father had been able to keep us safe from outsiders. But the number one flaw to his plan was not knowing that the traitor was his best friend, Marco Delli.

I had taken over the mafia at the age of fifteen, four months after my parent's death. It was agreed that my coronation was to be a private affair and that Mike's father was to rule as the head until I came of age. Mike took up the position as my Underboss by the time we had both grown up.

I had allowed the mafia to drown me into a hole of despair and sorrow. I was so welled up in regret that I laid aside my future. I pushed everything away. Including my sister, Ariana King. That was the greatest mistake I had ever made. By turning away my sister, I had delivered her back into the hands of the family who was out to take everything from me. Marco's weasel of a son had taken advantage of Ariana's trust and used her to get to the throne. He had taken her life to get to me.

Now, I was out for his blood.

The Delli's would crumble to the ground. Something I should have done years ago but now they had grown, expanded. They had become almost impenetrable. That was why I needed Scarlett. After Ariana's death, I had gone out on my own to search for them and bring them down but it was like they had disappeared. With no single trace.

Scarlett gave me hope that I could find them. That I could end this feud before it ended me. That I could save my mafia now. The only family I had left.