44

Mike was sitting up two days later. I hadn't seen much of him but enough to see him swallow his pride and dislike for me long enough to thank me for saving his ass.

I was back in the kitchen, sitting on the bar stool and devouring some leftover cake whem Matt and Damon walked in. I was shocked to see Damon in sweats and a tight black top, a complete change from a suit. It looked absolutely yummy on him and my eyes trailed him as he moved to the fridge and pulled it open. With his back to me, he spoke with humor in his tone, "Just tell me I look better than the cake you're eating."

I eyed him at his arrogance and he awarded me with a smirk as he closed the fridge and walked towards me. I offered him the cake, "It's really good cake. You'll never get to be this good. Wanna try some?"

Damon walked over to the back of my seat and his fingers slyly ran over the bare skin of my arm, causing me to shiver involuntarily. His lips were directly beside my ear, his hot breath against it as he whispered to my hearing, "Thanks for the offer. But the cake isn't what I'd like to eat."

I almost choked at the stark sexual innuendo behind that statement. I pulled away from him and tried to jab him with my elbow. He dodged, gliding out of the kitchen before I could follow him. His laugh filled the air. I turned back to my cake before realizing Matt leaning against the wall opposite me.

"He hasn't been this bouncy in years," Matt had a small smile on his face, "You managed to do that in a few days."

I rolled my eyes and turned to my cake, stabbing into it with my fork, "Come on, it's just pretense. Okay, maybe for a little while so he doesn't look too ungrateful after I saved his BFF's life."

It was Matt's turn to roll his eyes, "You and I both know you don't believe that." Before I could think up an answer, he continued, "We're having a little training out in the back. Wanna join us?"

I figured it was the best way to get out of this conversation so I closed my laptop, picked my plate of cake because there was no way I was leaving it behind and followed Matt. We passed the double staircase and the area with couches I had been sitting in a few days before. The large glass doors stood open and the refreshing warm air blew in, making me freeze in my spot. The scent of roses faintly hit me. They had always been my favorite flowers.

I unconsciously took a step back, grabbing Matt's attention who turned to me and took in my pale face.

"You okay?,"He frowned.

I swallowed and nodded, forcing a smile. I hadn't thought this far. I hadn't thought of stepping outside for an outdoor training session. Dumb, right? I knew that now.

I gave Matt a more reassuring smile and stepped to the doors, a slight pang going off in my chest as my sandaled feet hit the hot tiles outside. Three steps more and we turned onto the grass. I stilled and took a minute to push away the toiling emotions in me before following Matt past a large pool. At the other end, past a wall, men were scattered around, most of them barechested as they spared each other all over the grass. Somewhere in the middle of all the chaos, a large grey mat was spread out and two men were currently sparring on it. Some men stood around, watching the fight. I spotted Damon underneath a shade not too far away standing beside Mike. His eyes met mine almost immediately and a smile quirked his lips.

I turned away, cleaning off the last bit of cake with my fork. As I rose it to my mouth, Matt swooped in and stole it right off my fork. I glared at him.

"You just stole my last bit of cake," I mumbled. He laughed at the annoyed look on my face and said, "I'll get you more cake if you spar with me."

I shook my head, "No way." I thrust the plate and fork into his arms and crossed my arms, "Now go get me a drink to appease me."