42

I had avoided Matt for the next few days, choosing to remain to myself and my research. I had also found the mansion gym and training room which were conveniently beside each other and had been helping myself to them.

I was currently seated on the open couch area behind the grand staircase that faced the open grounds outside. The sun shone and illuminated the green grass. The large glass doors were closed but it already felt as though I was outside. I hated it. Well, I did but I didn't. I had loved the outdoors as a kid but seeing my parents dead bodies and their blood spilled on my favorite place made it... well, less favorite.

"Scarlett?," I was startled out of my thoughts when Damon called me. I turned to him and eyed his yummy figure in a suit. The suit jacket was unbuttoned and he had his arms in his pocket, giving me an even better look at his strained abs in the dress shirt.

"Scarlett?," Damon cleared his throat and called my name again. My eyes rose to his and I could tell he knew I'd been staring. His eyes twinkled with amusement and I expected him to give some sort of sly comment but he nodded his head to the side and spoke, "We're having a meeting. Join us."

And he walked away.

I rolled my eyes at his back and stood. Stupid, demanding, bipolar idiot, I muttered to myself as I walked towards the meeting room. I was the last to walk in and grimaced at the sullen quietness of the room, "Why's everyone so dull? I know you're men but your species of men smile once in a while."

I pulled out the only extra seat beside Matt, the one I'd been in the time I'd showed them my profile. Rock's lips twitched upwards, "Our species of men?"

I smiled at him, reaching forward and taking a glass and pouring myself scotch from the bottle on the table for refreshments, "You know. Controlling, bipolar and upsettingly gorgeous hunks like your Boss over there." I flicked my hand in Damon's direction and felt his glare almost immediately. The room stifled a laugh before Damon cleared his throat and silenced them again.

Way to spoil the fun, Mr. Mafia.

"The reason for this meeting is simple," He began, "There's been a sighting of the Delli's. They've had their members hanging around town. More specifically, a club in one of the downtown areas."

Mike continued from there, "They're enough for us to take out. Once we take them out, we'd be able to take the remaining half that will come out of hiding to avange their members... "

I sipped on my scotch patiently, my eyes steady on Damon. He didn't glance at me once but when he sighed, I knew he'd known why I was looking at him. He interrupted Mike's rambling and turned to me, "Got something to say, Scarlett?"

I hid my victory smile behind the glass as I took another sip. The whole room had turned to me. I swished the drink in the glass and sang, "That's not really a good idea..."

Mike narrowed his eyes, "Excuse me?"

I peered over my glass and met his eyes, "Calm your rage, Mikey. I'm not fighting the plan although I'm sure you're the one who came up with it. It has your signature loopholes everywhere."

The room laughed lowly. Damon glared again, "Are you going to get to the point?"

I turned to him, "Sorry. Didn't mean to disrespect your gay partner," Before he could answer, I crossed one leg over the other and continued, "The plan won't work because of mainly one thing. The Delli's aren't as closely knit as this mafia obviously is. Attacking some of them means you help them get rid of the heavy weight they don't want to get rid of by themselves. They won't come out of hiding because you only helped them kill off the weaker ones."

Damon's dark eyes blazed as he looked at me. He was quiet before saying, "And the other thing?"

I took a sip of my drink and pulled on an innocent smile, "Well, even if your plan did succeed, you don't have enough weapons for a second attack."

Rock looked up at me, "How do you know about this? It's hidden in the mafia's secure database."

I took another sip, "If by secure, you mean as loose as a grandma's panties, then fine. Secure..."

Mike narrowed his eyes, "We've calculated every possible outcome and have been monitoring them for days. We know what we're doing."

"If you insist," I stared at him for a while them turned my eyes back to Damon who had been staring, "Got something to say, Damon?"

He tilted his head, "We'll still go ahead with the plan. You're going undercover at the club-"

I interrupted him, "Another club adventure?"

He didn't find it funny and glared at me again. I narrowed my eyes, "Well, as much as I would love to, I'm not joining you on a mission that's set to fail."

I stood just as Damon did, "Sit the fuck back in that chair, Scarlett!"

I turned back to him with a bored expression on my face, raising my empty hand to scratch at my forehead. I knew whatever I would say next probably wasn't worth it but I had a theory I wanted to test out so without thinking twice I said, "I will be willing to do just that when you get your head out of that stubborn asshole of yours. You're doing for her, right? Your sister? What's her name again? Ariana?"

Damon's whole body shook with rage and he took dangerous steps forward. Everyone in the room scampered to their feet at the rising tension. Matt stepped out from behind me and held unto Damon's arm to stop him from moving further. Damon's furious gaze remained on me, "You have no boundaries, do you? That's none of your business. You had no right!!"

I tilted my head, "I'm pretty sure I'm meant to be helping you kill those who took away your sister. I have some rights to know why I'm doing this." He was still too furious so I shook my head and softened my voice, "I'm sorry about your sister. I'm trying to help."

His eyes blazed into me, "I don't need your help when you don't have boundaries. Stay the fuck out of this mission and stay the fuck out of my way!"

I knew he wasn't going to calm down soon. I wasn't exactly sorry that I'd touched a raw spot but I'd wanted to know the reason behind their feud. I nodded, gripping the glass in my hand, "Oh, I won't interfere in anything set to fail. Trust me."

I turned to walk away when his next words that were said lowly for me to hear halted my steps, "I can't wait to break that arrogance. That confidence you hide behind. You touch what I love, I won't hesitate to hit harder."

I turned back to him, my eyes searching his for the truth of his words. My mind flashed over their faces; Joe, Ana and the kids, Rick, Thomas and Greg and everyone else at Headquarters. I'd screwed up without thinking of the consequences that could affect them. My hand shook but I gripped the glass cup harder and said to him, "Fuck you."

And walked out.