Missed Buses and Bloody Lips

You made a really deep cut
And, baby, now we've got bad blood

~Taylor Swift & Kendrick Lamar, Bad Blood

***

It's already quite dark outside but there are so many street lights, it doesn't bother me much. I'm only wearing a long sleeved t-shirt and jeans but it's warm outside so I don't have to worry about feeling cold.

I know my parents are going to kill me when they find out I walked alone this late but I don't think I can wait for Lilly.

I sent her a text telling her she doesn't need to come pick me up; I'll take the bus. She still hasn't replied and I hope she sees it in time.

Besides, the bus stop is really close and what could possibly happen in the three minutes between the library and bus stop?

I continue walking, humming the tune to ABBA's Chiquitita. I sigh with relief when the park comes into view, right next to it is the bus stop.

See, nothing happened.

"You're dead, Wilder!"

I stop in my tracks at the loud, angry voice. I look to my left and right there, in the middle of the park, a fist fight is taking place.

None of your business, Maya, just keep walking.

One of the two boys pushes the other and they both fall, knocking a trash can down. All its contents come pouring out of it and scatter around the area. As president of the school's environmental club and an anti-littering human being, this suddenly becomes my business.

I take a step towards the park but immediately stop when I realise I'm entering a potentially dangerous situation.

You just get there, make sure they leave the park and can fight anywhere else, then you quickly clear up the trash.

I don't bother to continue the conversation in my head and begin to run towards the two cavemen.

"Hey! Hey!" I scream whilst waving my arms frantically in the air.

My presence is completely disregarded and I find myself getting nearer to the two.

"Stop! Hey, stop what you're-" I'm cut short when an elbow lands on my abdomen and the blow forces me to the ground.

Everything stops, the two turn to look at the groaning girl on the ground. One of them, the brunette with curly hair, has the collar of the other one's blue shirt crumpled in his hands. They stand in that position, staring at me with baffled expressions.

"Ow!" The pain seems to worsen and I shut my eyes.

What's that elbow made of? Steel?

"I'm so sorry. Fuck! I'm sorry."

The brunette says, his mind finally registering what happened. He puts his arms around me and helps me up.

His lower lip is cut near the middle, the result of Mr Steel Elbows' fists I presume. There's also a bit of blood on his cheek, under his eye and the metallic smell fills my nostrils.

When I'm finally on my feet, the brunette bends down and retrieves my backpack from the ground. Steel Elbows continues to just stand, not even bothering to apologise whilst he's the one that hurt me.

I notice the blood coming out of his nose and the bruise under his eye. They seem to have both gotten each other good. Adding the strange girl trying to interfere in a fight involving strangers, I think Steel Elbows gets an extra point.

Based on how his eyes move between the brunette and I, I can tell he's contemplating finishing what he started or letting it slide because of me. I am now not only a witness to an assault but a victim.

"This isn't over, Wilder!" He growls and then spits onto the grass.

He turns around and storms away and I'm left with the brunette. He doesn't say anything, just stares after Steel Elbows as he walks away into the darkness.

"May I..May I have my bag," he looks down at me and I immediately look away. Something about me, I hate eye contact.

He hands me the bag and only then do I notice something behind me. In the near distance, I see the mass of white and yellow painted metal, it's doors closing. I begin to run towards it but the pain in my stomach has other plans and I stop and clutch my tummy.

Come on, Maya.

I stand upright and continue to run towards the bus that has already begun to move. Add my lack of cardio to the pain and there's little chance of me making it.

"Stop! Stop!" I shout behind it but nothing stops, not even the people walking around.

I finally give up and stand by the bus stop.

I can make it. My memory mocks.

I mentally scold myself and take out my phone to try and text Lilly. I groan when I realise the battery is about to die and quickly type a message to her but before I can hit send, the phone dies on me.

Why did you think interfering in other people's business was a good idea? 

"Stupid phone!"

"Hey, crazy girl." I look behind me and there in his casual black outfit and probably 6 foot something inch height, stands the brunette.

Crazy girl? That's not important. Just ignore him.

I don't reply and I'm about to look away when I realise I don't have a phone I can use.

"Hey, may I borrow your phone?" I get straight to the point.

"I uhm...my phone," he hesitates, "The battery died."

I lose all hope. Just my luck.

Awesome, now I'm going to have to go around asking strangers if I can use their phones. I have no way of telling Lilly to come pick me up and there's no way I'm waiting for the next bus.

"Calm down, calm down." The brunette says and I realise I just said all that out loud.

He sighs and runs his hand through his messy hair then says, "I can give you a ride."

I laugh and stare at him blankly.

No way am I getting in a car with a stranger.

"Stranger, danger."

He gives me an 'are you for real?' look before replying, "Says the girl who just jumped into a fight between strangers."

"I didn't jump in," I protest, "I speed walked into the fight."

He chuckles and shakes his head then points to something across the street.

"C'mon, there's my ride."

I don't bother to look at it.

"I still don't know you."

"Gosh, it's getting late," he looks up then groans, "I'm Mason Wilder. Is that good enough for you?"

I give him a nod and narrow my eyes at him hoping he gets my 'if anything happens to me, I'll haunt you for the rest of your life' warning. Based on his nonchalant facial expression, he either doesn't get it or the idea of my ghost is not that intimidating.

"Fine," I give in and look in the direction he was pointing at. I immediately gasp and my eyes widen.

Don't forget to vote and share.

Lots of love :)