"How old are you?"

Mason's POV

We get home after an hour of watching Angie play around the park. She kept pulling Maya away, asking to play with her.

She seems to really like her which is unlike Angie. Usually, with strangers, she is reserved and barely enjoys spending time with them. After today, she wants to spend every second of the day with Maya.

"I just got a text from mom, she says not to worry about dinner." Ollie shakes his phone in the air before walking into the living room.

Angie follows behind him, skipping and humming what I think is the Spongebob Squarepants theme song.

I turn around and lean by the door to look at Maya. She's still outside, speaking to her father over the phone.

She makes cute faces when's talking over the phone. In fact, I've noticed she makes cute faces with everything. Especially when she's upset or irritated. Scrunching her nose is her way of showing her confusion, irritation or admiration.

She hangs up and puts her phone in her backpack. When she looks up, our eyes meet and she immediately looks down. She's also cute when she's shy.

Pulling loose strands of hair behind her ear, she starts walking towards the house. I move aside and let her in before closing the door.

"Let's go into the living room." I say.

She gives me a small smile before offering an explanation.

"I'm sorry but it's just that my dad won't be able to make it home anytime soon. He does say he'll try to get off as early as possible."

She's nervous. She's fiddling with the straps of her backpack and I find myself fighting a smile. I don't want her to think I'm teasing her or anything.

"Wanna watch some TV?" I purposely ignore her statement.

Her facial expression changes as she drops her hands to hips. Her nose slightly creases and I turn around and walk into the living room. A little teasing won't hurt.

"Maya, what do you want to watch?" Angie asks with a huge grin on her face.

"Anything you want to watch." Maya replies, a smile forming on her face.

Her eyes move to the cupboard surrounding the TV as she sits down on the couch. She gasps and puts her backpack on the wooden tiled floor before getting up.

I watch with amusement, my arms folded across my chest, as her eyes move around my mother's music collection.

"It's shockingly boring, I know." Ollie says to Maya.

It's the first time I hear him speak to her. Judging from the shock on her face as she looks at him, I believe these are his first words to her. He doesn't speak much to people until he properly gets to know them.

"On the contrary, I love these." Maya beams.

Ollie and I turn to each other in utter surprise.

"ABBA, The Chordettes, Mozart, the Supremes..." She says the names of the artists she recognises as she moves her fingertips across the records. "I love all of these."

"How old are you?" Ollie's jaw is practically on the floor now.

"Hey, I just happen to appreciate good music." Maya defends, getting up from her kneeling position.

"I think mama's music is fun too!" Angie exclaims, showing off her cute toothless smile.

"You have an exquisite taste in music, young lady." Maya softly brushes her fingertip on Angie's nose and she giggles.

"Can we just watch some TV?" Ollie groans in annoyance.

"Okay, I wanna watch cartoons." Angie states, switching on the TV.

A huge grin forms on Maya's face and I look at I turn to look at her. She likes old music and cartoons. A small smile forms on my face and I look away at the TV before any one notices.

The TV comes to life and an episode of Teen Titans is on.

My phone vibrates and I take it out from my front jean pocket. The small message icon pops up on my screen with Max's name next to it.

Max: Dude, wanna hang out?

Me: I can't. I'm at home with Ollie and Angie.

I send the text then look at Maya before adding,

And Maya.

Max: Wait what?! So ur dumb plan is actually working?

I roll my eyes before replying.

Shut up. She just can't go home yet so she's been with us since after school.

Max: So u guys have just been sitting at home?

Me: No, we went to mom's shop then to the park.

Max: Dude😂 U go 2 school with her everyday, have dinner with her family and hang out with her at the park and at UR place.

Me: Yeah, so?

Max: U R spending a lot of time with her. Just be careful she doesn't fall 4 U.

I try to type a reply but I don't know what to say. I reread the text, a seed of worry growing in me.

I'm distracted from my thoughts by Maya laughing at something. She throws her head back and closes her eyes, slight creases forming at their corners.

Her deep laugh makes me smile.

Mason, don't.

***

"I am so sorry for the inconvenience and thank you very much for helping her out." Maya's dad says to my mother.

She and Maya just finished washing the dishes while Ollie and I cleaned up the kitchen and living room.

"Oh, it's no inconvenience." My mom assures Dr. Banks.

"Thank you again," Dr. Banks politely waves at my mother as he heads out the door, "we'll get going."

"Bye, Maya." Angie's voice is laced with disappointment.

"Was she expecting a sleepover? Hoping that we adopt her new best friend?" Ollie whispers next to me. I deliberately ignore him. I kind of enjoyed spending time with Maya.

"Bye, my angel." Maya bends down to Angie's height and plants a kiss on her forehead.

"You'll come back, right?" Angie requests with a pout and her puppy eyes look.

"Of course I will." Maya assures her and stands upright.

"Bye, everyone."

She waves as she follows her father out the door. My mom gives them a big smile while Angie still has her pout and puppy eyes. Oliver gives her a nod; that's a good sign.

She glances at me for a second before shyly looking away. A small smile forms on my face before she closes the door and I turn around and head to my room.