Homework and Sports Fields

Mason's POV

Maya opens the door and gets out without saying anything to me. By the time I've taken off my seat belt, grabbed my phone and opened the door, she's already halfway across the street.

As  soon as I open the front door, I rush up the stairs to my room. I have a lot of homework today.

I put my backpack on the floor next to my study table and sit down. I decide to start with physics and take out the book but my thoughts are immediately invaded by Maya.

I can't say I blame her for her actions. I've been a complete jerk to her for the whole week.

It's just that after the text Max sent, it had me thinking. Maya's shell is much harder to crack. Almost every girl at school has fallen at my feet since I got to AHHS but she barely gives me the time of day. Instead of trying to get close to me, it's like she can't stand me.

It's as if she's immune to my... charm? That actually bothers me.

Regardless, I can't risk it.

"And what the fuck is she doing with Kemble?" My grip on the pen tightens as I mutter the words.

Did he invite Maya to the party as another way to warn me? I can't let her go there on her own.

She doesn't know anything and I won't let Trevor drag her into this mess. It's dangerous and I'm not letting her get involved.

"Maya, why did you have to go and stop a fight between strangers?" I groan and run my hands through my hair.

***

Maya's POV

I'm sitting on my study table finishing up my Biology notes when my mom opens the door and comes in.

"May," she says my name with a smile and goes to sit on my bed.

I turn around to face her, a look of confusion etched on my face.

"Lilly told me that you're going to a party." Her smile turns into a grin.

"No," I wrinkle my forehead, "I told her I was invited to one."

"Yes and you should go." From my mother's ecstatic tone, I can tell she's internally skipping right now.

"Why, mom?" I groan.

"Honey, you've never been to a high school party that wasn't hosted by the school. Shelly and Bianca have to force you to attend even those."

"They're a waste of time, mom."

"Well, maybe, but you'll have fun. Perhaps make some new friends."

I don't want new friends.

"Alice, honey, Dr. Watson's calling you!" My dad calls from the hallway.

"Please don't tell me it's about work." Mom groans and covers her face with her hands.

She looks up at me and her smile returns.

"Just think about it. Also, you could just go there and see how it is and if you don't like it you can come back."

"I'll see if Bianca and Shelly will want to come with me." I say and bite my lower lip.

"That's great." My mom rushes to give me a hug before running out the room.

I get up to get my phone from my bed and call my best friends.

***

It's Saturday. The day I've been dreading for over a week.

Almost everyone seems to be in good spirits while I'm here hoping for a hail storm.