Crime Hot Spots & Yellow Bikes

Friday morning- the one morning when every student is smiling.

Mason is in a surprisingly good mood this morning. When I asked, he gave some lame excuse about being excited for summer break.

I think he might have talked to his mom and fixed everything with her.

After he parked the car, she called so he stayed behind. The moment I enter the school building, Shelly and Bianca start bombarding me with questions.

"What the heck happened yesterday?" Shelly asks.

"Yeah, why was Mason arrested?" Bianca follows.

"Is he...is he some sort of a criminal?" Shelly's eyes widen.

"No." I shake my head. "It was all a huge misunderstanding. We went to the station and the police said they made a mistake and arrested the wrong person."

"That's great." A relieved smile forms on Shelly's face. "Imagine my goody-two-shoes bestie dating a criminal."

"No way." Bianca shakes her head. "I'm just glad Mason isn't involved in any of this."

"Yeah, he's innocent." I say.

I look away at the ground and we walk down the hallway. The lie tastes bitter in my mouth and the truth struggles in my throat. I wish I could speak to someone and just explain everything to them. Tell them all my fears.

I can't even speak to my best friends about this.

"How long until class starts?" Shelly asks.

"We still have ten minutes." Bianca checks her phone.

"Nice."

"Oh, look, there's Ben." Bianca points to the lockers near the computer room.

The two of them start walking faster, towards the group of boys and I follow them.

"Babe." Shelly waves at him, a few feet away from the group.

Ben looks up at her and his face lightens up. He says something to his friends before walking over to us.

"Hey, babe." Ben kisses Shelly on the cheek and she blushes. "Hey, girls."

"Hi." Bianca and I reply simultaneously. There's silence for about a minute.

This isn't awkward at all.

"So, what is the computer club busy with, Benjamin?" Bianca inquiries.

"Not much, just coding and stuff." He pushes his glasses up then focuses on something behind us.

"Hey, guys." Mason greets and I turn to look at him.

"Hey, Mason." My friends reply.

"Is everything okay?" I ask, referring to the phone call with his mom.

"Yeah, mom just wanted to let me know she wants to order pizza for dinner tonight."

"That doesn't sound like your mom." I laugh.

"I know," he also laughs, "I think Angie might have pulled out her puppy eyes on their way to school."

We both laugh.

"Ehem." Shelly clears her throat and we turn our attention to them.

Okay, for a split second I forgot about everyone else.

"Mason, I'm really sorry about what happened yesterday." Shelly says. "I can't believe the cops."

"Oh, uhm...thanks. I guess they were just trying to do their job."