Colours And Ice Cream

Neither one of my parents will be here before 9pm. I don't have any money on me. I'm locked out of my own home. In conclusion, I'm doomed.

Mom said she'd be in the theater for the entire day so dad's the only option. I open the pocket zip of my backpack and take out my phone. I quickly dial his numbers, my fingers crossed.

Voicemail.

What am I going to do?

"Hey! Banks!" My head shoots up at the sound of Mason calling my name.

I look at him and feel every bit of energy I had leave my body.

He's my only hope. Him.

He starts walking in my direction and I get up to meet him halfway.

"What are you doing sitting outside?" We're now standing in the middle of the street.

How am I supposed to tell him I'm the idiot that locked herself out of the house?

"Can I hang out at your place?" I smile sheepishly. "Not for long, just until I can get ahold of my dad."

He doesn't offer me a reaction, no smirk or laughter. For a second I think he's going to refuse.

"Okay." He casually says.

He turns around and walks back to his house. After taking a second to procese that he actually agreed, my feet begin to move as I follow him.

"Banks," he stops in front of his car, "I'm going to my mom's shop because she has a meeting and I need to go pick up Ollie and Angie."

"Oh," I smile at the mention of his little sister, it'd be nice to see her again, "okay."

Wait, so am I going with him or...

"Get in the car." He says.

***

His mom's shop has to be one of the most beautiful places I've ever set eyes on in Lancaster.

It's a small shop that is both a book and antique shop. The interior designer, a genius in my opinion, managed to fuse ancient designs with a library design that manages to make you feel like you're reading a book in the company of Queen Victoria. Talk about awesome. I already love this place.

It's got a homely ambiance and a warm feeling that urges you to stay longer. There are book shelves on one half of the room, all decorated with fresh flowers and woodwork of book quotes. The other half consists of beautiful accessories and antiques carefully placed in glass, on wood or metal platforms.

"This place is beautiful." I whisper and Mason looks at me.

"Yeah." The corners of his lips slightly rise.

"Mason!" Mrs. Wilder calls out her son's name from behind the counter.

"Maya," Her smile widens when I come into view, "it's nice to see you."

"Hello, Mrs. Wilder, it's lovely to see you too." I reply with my own smile.

"I hope Mason didn't drag you into helping him babysit." She bends down and returns up holding a purple backpack.

"Oh, no," I reply nervously, "he's actually helping me."

"Banks here seems to have locked herself out of her house." Mason says with a smirk.

I glare at Mason before turning back to Mrs. Wilder, who gives me a sympathetic smile.

"I love this place Mrs. Wilder. It's so beautiful."