"Max, where's Mason?"

Wednesday morning.

To say I've been dreading this day, would be an understatement. Trusting that Mason will be safe, is better said than done. I've been worried and anxious.

"Good morning, sweetheart." Mom greets me as I reach the bottom of the stairs.

"Morning, mom." I kiss her cheek and follow her into the kitchen.

She's already wearing her blue work uniform so I assume she'll be leaving soon.

"Has dad already left?" I ask and she nods.

"We're coming back early tonight, we thought we could have a family dinner."

"Oh." my face falls. I was hoping I could go to Mason's fight. We're almost done with our tests and the upcoming one is physics on Friday. I'm way ahead.

"Okay, I was expecting a little enthusiasm. Even if you were faking it, that would've worked." She says, taking out a bowl from the cupboard.

"I'm sorry, mom. I'm just thinking about school. I really need to study, I'm under a lot of pressure."

"May, don't pressure yourself too much. Take breaks and relax; like this family dinner." She says with a smile. She  takes out the cereal box and pours the yellow contents into the bowl.

I nod and smile, fiddling with my fingertips. After pouring in the milk and adding a spoon, she slides the bowl over to me.

"No, thank you, mom. I already had breakfast.  I thought that was for you." I smile apologetically.

"Why would I make food just for myself?" She chuckles and shakes her head, taking the bowl from me. "Well, I guess this is mine now."

The doorbell rings and I say goodbye to mom and rush to the door.

"Hey!" I say as I get into the car.

"Hey!" Mason and Max reply and I shut the door.

"Maya," Max begins as we drive off, "your boyfriend is evil."

"What did he do?" I chuckle. I notice that Mason glances at me and smiles.

"Who wakes up someone at 5 in the morning?" Max whines and shakes his head.

"I woke up early and I just thought I could go pick up Max first." Mason defends.

"Imagine!" Max rests his arms on both our seats. "He chose to wake me up at an ungodly hour just because he doesn't value his sleep. Unbelievable."

I chuckle and shake my head. He sounds like Justin right now.

"Oh, I forgot to inquire about your English marks." I turn to Max with a hopeful smile.

"Great!" He exclaims with a smile. "I got a B plus."

"Awesome!"

I sit back and strap on my seat belt. We drive the rest of the way in silence, with me looking out the window and Max playing candy crush on his phone.

When we finally get to school, Mason rushes out of the car.

"I'll see you in class." He gives me a smile and I nod before he runs towards the school.

"So are you two official now?" Max slightlty nudges my arm.

"What? No. What are you talking about?" I narrow my lips to try and hide my smile.

"I see you two." Max grins and begins walking to the school building, leaving me standing in the parking lot.

"Maya Banks."