The Mother, The Man and The Princess

Maya's POV

"You were with him yesterday and you guys are still hanging out today. Ahhhh!" Lilly squeals and I move the phone away from my ear.

"We're not hanging out today," I chuckle and bring the phone closer to my ear, "he's just taking me to Golden Age and then he's leaving."

"He's leaving?" I can almost see her pout right now.

"He has to go help his mom at her shop."

"Well, why don't you go with him?" She sounds enthusiastic once more.

"I can't. I have to go to Golden Age, I haven't been there in ages."

"Nutty, you're killing me." She groans. "You'd rather go and play bingo than spend the day with your boyfriend."

"Hey, bingo's fun!" I defend. "Besides, let him spend some time with his family."

I'm about to say something else when the doorbell rings.

"Lilly, someone's at the door."

"Ooh," she swoons, "you two have fun."

"Lilly, it's not-" she hangs up before I can finish my sentence.

I grab my denim jacket and backpack and head for the door.

"Hey." I greet Mason once I've opened the door.

"Hey." He returns it with a smile, eyeing me up and down.

I feel nervous under his gaze and fiddle with the doorknob.

"You look..." he pauses and I look up at him, "beautiful."

A huge smile forms on my face and I struggle to hide it.

I'm wearing a black short sleeved dress that reaches my knees, with white sandals. I don't think I look pretty but I guess it's a change from the jeans and t-shirts I've been consecutively wearing for weeks.

My smile grows and I clear my throat before looking up again.

"We should get going." I say and he steps out of the way. I get out of the house and lock the door, making sure to put my keys in my bag.

We don't say anything as we walk down the driveway towards his car. We open our doors and get in, a comfortable silence still hanging in the atmosphere.  I buckle up in the passenger seat and place my backpack on my lap. I take off the blue scrunchie on my wrist and carefully tie it around my neat bun at the top of my head.

Mason turns the key in the ignition and the sound of the engine coming to life cuts through the silence.

"Why don't you ever play the radio?" My eyes slightly widen when I realise I asked the question out loud.

He pauses for a while and I look straight ahead, avoiding his eyes. He clears his throat and I feel a little hope that I'll get some information out of him.

"I just... I like the silence."

"What? I like silence but not all the time." I turn to him. "Don't you have a favourite musician, band?"

He shakes his head. "Music is not my thing."

"You're weird, Mason Wilder." I sit back and shake my head and he chuckles.

"How long have you been volunteering at the retirement home?"

"Seven months, sometimes I would go to the hospital." I answer with a reminiscent smile.

We drive in silence for the rest of the short journey. I smile when the large white building of Golden Age comes into view.

Mason stops the car in front of the closed black gate and one of the security guards approaches us.