Toothbrushes and Gold Smiles

Ramadan Kareem😊

***

"Gone out? Where?" I ask, still standing behind the couch.

"He said something about a toothbrush." He waves a dismissive hand and turns away.

"Oh, he should've just texted Mason or Max to bring back one for him."

I move around the couch and sit on the recliner since he shows no intention of making space for me.

"How have you guys spent the past few days?" He asks and immediately takes out his phone.

"We uh..." my eyes are fixed on his phone. "We've just been indoors. Mason and Max have been trying to find the best spots to hang out."

Wow, lies just flow out of me these days.

"Oh. You guys didn't plan this trip before taking it? I mean maybe those two but I always thought you," he looks up at me for a second, "were the scheduling and planning type."

"Mason wanted to be spontaneous." I shrug.

"Since he brought Max I'm taking it this isn't a romantic getaway so how come your friends aren't here?"

I huff with annoyance and look away. Why is he suddenly a detective?

"My friends couldn't come. Why are you asking me so many questions?"

"Calm down, May." He smirks.

"Don't call me that." I frown.

His questions stop and he focuses on his phone. My thoughts are in a battle; part of me wants to stay here and I don't know, keep an eye on Nathan but the other part wants to go to my bedroom, far away from him.

"You wanna go for a walk?"

My eyes shoot up at him and I frown at the suggestion.

"It's late."

"Perfect time for a walk. Or at least a drive."

"No. I'm completely fine here."

"Those three aren't coming back any time soon. It's boring in here and at least we'll get to see this place a bit."

"Nathan, really, I'm fine. We'll take that walk tomorrow with the others."

I look up at him and notice that his eyes have darkened. I gulp and get up; I'm not spending another second with this guy.

Just as I'm about to make my way to my bedroom, something holds me back. I stare down at my arm and gasp when I see Nathan's  fingers roughly wrapped around it.

"Hey!" I try to twist my arm out of his grip.

"I said it's a nice time for a drive." He states through gritted teeth.

"Let go!" Panic starts to build up in me.

He shakes his head, a smug smile on his face.

"Nathan!"

He begins to drag me towards the door. I grab onto the recliner with my free hand but he jerks me forward.

"Nathan! Let go of me!"

What is he going to do? Why is he doing this?

He opens the door and I take the opportunity to start kicking his legs. He growls and turns around to give me an icy glare.

"Do that again and..." his voice trails off and he groans. "If you weren't worth so much money I would've knocked you unconscious."

Money? What money? Who's offering money for me? What is he talking about?