Saturday Plans and Training Shoes

"Bye, bye, Lilly." I cut off Lilly's rant that I've abandoned her, trying to hang up the video chat.

"No! No, Nutty, you don't get to do that." She glares at me and if it weren't for her fuzzy bunny pyjamas, I would actually take her serious.

"Lilly, I've really got to go. I have somewhere to be."

"With Mason?" She narrows her lips, undoubtedly agitated.

"What?" I frown and shake my head.

"Oh, don't deny it. Shelly and B told me." Her agitation dissipates as a smile forms on her face.  "I knew this would happen."

"Why does everyone keep saying that?" I look up at the ceiling and groan.

"It's like I said before, you're too cute to not be liked. It was expected."

"Sis, I barely even like Mason as a human being."

"Sure you don't," Lilly wiggles her eyebrows, a creepy smile on her face, "you like him as much more than that."

I kind of walked into that one didn't I?

"Lilly, I've got to go."

"Okay but listen to me first," she suspiciously looks around her dorm room, "come closer."

I frown but nevertheless move my face closer to the screen.

"Wear the red scrunchie."

"The red scrunchie? Why?"

"It's for good luck." She winks and clicks her laptop and my screen saver pops up.

Good luck?

My memory takes me back to all the times she wore the scrunchie in high school.

"Oh, Lilly." I chuckle and shake my head.

Her "good luck scrunchie" was only ever worn when she was going out with a guy she really liked. Most of the time, she returned with a make out session story. She does kiss and tell.

I get off my bed and walk out the door. I've already showered and I'm in black leggings and a green t-shirt dress.

"What time is Mason picking you up." My mom asks when I reach downstairs.

Today, miraculously,  both my parents are here. They're sitting in the living room watching a docuseries on immigration.

"I'm not sure." I reply before sitting on the couch adjacent theirs.

"Text him." My mom flashes a grin.

I still don't have his numbers.

"You've been spending an awful lot of time with that boy." Dad's face is creased from his disapproving frown.

"Let the child be, Lex." Mom is quick to defend me.

"Where did he say he's taking you?" Another grin from my mom.

I bite my inner mouth to prevent myself from laughing. Why does she like him so much?

"He didn't say, just that he was picking me up."

"Well, go change." Mom urges me on, waving her hand towards the stairs.

"Change?" I look down at my clothes.

"You can't go out looking like that."

"No, no," now dad's the one grinning, "she looks fine, Alice."

My mom looks at him in disbelief and I laugh. The door bell rings and we all turn our attention to the door.

"I'll get it." I announce before getting up.