9

Megan woke first. They and Loki were laying on the couch, legs tangled, and Loki laid pressed against them. They gasped softly, looking down at Loki. He was so relaxed, they couldn't help but snuggle closer to him, laying their head in the crook of his neck. A few minutes passed, and just as they were nearing sleep, Loki groaned, tightening his muscles and then relaxing again.

"Morning, sleepyhead," they whispered. He groaned, yawning, and shifted until he propped himself up. He looked over his shoulder, eyes blinking slowly. They smiled, and booped him on the nose. "You want some breakfast?"

"Yes-" his voice scratched, and he cleared his throat. "Yes. That would be nice." They untangled themselves from each other, and Loki sat cross legged on the couch as Megan pulled a few supplies from the cabinets, planning a little surprise for today.

Eventually, Loki peered over their shoulder. "This isn't your usual breakfast."

"I figured I'd do something new for the special occasion," they said.

"Special occasion?" He questioned.

"Yeah, it's February 14th." They glanced over when they got no reaction. "You know... Valentines Day?"

"Ah, I see." He dismissed. They stared at him with brows furrowed. "Where I am from, we don't have his particular holiday," he admitted.

"Well, it's, um, it celebrates love and romance and stuff. Usually couples go out to eat, or go on a date."

"What have you done before?"

"Oh," they thought back over the years. "Um, I usually go out with some friends. I haven't really celebrated Valentine's Day since I finished school."

Loki sat at the counter. "But what have you done with your suitors?"

"My- oh, um, I didn't really have any 'suitors'. Never asked, never got asked." Loki cocked his head, and Megan poured the mixture onto a frying pan, shaping them like hearts.

"Surely you have celebrated this day before?"

They flipped the pancake. "Well, my friends and I would usually go out together, we called it Pal-entine's Day. Other than that? I usually just ate some ice cream and watched cheesy romance movies." They served him some pancakes, and they both dug in.

Loki froze.

"Why did you make them into hearts?" He asked quietly.

"What?"

"Why did you make the pancakes into hearts?" He repeated, setting his utensils down and making eye-contact with them.

"Because it's Valentines Day..." Megan said. A emotion they couldn't put their finger on, flitted across Loki's eyes. "Like I said, day of love, and all that."

He hesitated. "Is this..." he swallowed thickly. "Are you..."

"Loki, what is it?" They reaches over and grabbed one of his hands. He jumped up, stumbling away from them.

"You can't... you have to..." He choked off. Megan stood, stepping towards him. "I'm a monster! You can't..."

"Loki..." they murmured. "You're not a monster."

"I... I... Yes I am! How would you-"

"Loki!" They hissed. "You listen to me right now! This fucking Patriarchy has given me incredible low standards. I don't care what you did in the past, so long as you meet this criteria. Count off on your fingers if you have: a. Raped someone, b. victim-blamed, c. have been accused or convicted of domestic violence." Loki shook his head. "There. You've successfully passed. Congrats you're not a monster."

"I've killed people!" He snarled.

They blinked. "I'll admit, I didn't really peg you for that, but okay."

"Didn't you hear me? I've killed! Murdered innocent people!" He searched their face.

"Did you do it of your own free will?"

He hesitated. "Yes."

They raised an eyebrow. "Let me rephrase that. Were you influenced, blackmailed, hell, even mind-controlled, in any way?"

"I... He..."

"Boom. Not your fault."

"I'm the monster parents tell their children about at night!" His voice and facade cracked.

"Loki..." They stepped toward him, expression softening.

"Don't." He raised his hands, and closed his eyes, a strange feeling radiating from him. Instinctively, Megan took a step back. The temperature dropped. Blue ridges snaked up his arms, the color bleeding into his skin, reaching his neck, jaw, temple. He opened his eyes. Megan inhaled sharply.

"In this form- my natural form- I would burn your flesh off you with a single touch. Even my mere presence will bring the temperature too low for life to sustain. My race has continuously ravaged the realms, destroying everything they laid eyes on. I have slain thousands of warriors, I was raised with both genetics and learned abilities to become a killer. Even without this form, I have killed hundreds of individuals in a single day. Do not doubt me when I say. I. Am. To. Be. Feared."

His crimson eyes peered into theirs, then, grimly satisfied with what he found, he turned sharply on his heel and stalked out, slamming the front door behind him.

"Holy shit," they mumbled.