17

Megan woke to a plethora of coughing. They rubbed their eyes, and looked around.

"Loki?" They asked mid-yawn. They stumbled to their feet, leaning against the doorframe. "Are you okay?" He leaned over the sink, and when his eyes caught Megan's, they knew something was dreadfully wrong.

-

"He needs his sleep," they protested, pushing Thor from the room. "I'll tell you if something happens, okay?"

"Yes, Lady Megan. I shall hold you to your promises!" He said solemnly.

"I'll see you again tomorrow."

-

"Here, drink this." They held a cup of water to his lips. He gulped it down and sighed, looking up at Megan.

"You shouldn't dote on me," he said. "I will-" He broke into a fit of coughing. "I will get over this. I just need- need some time."

"What you need is some medicine," they murmured.

"No!" He rasped. "The price is far too high. I don't want you anywhere near that monster."

"Loki, he will only sell it to me!" They protested. You can't..." They sniffled, swiping at their nose.

"I will get over this. What god would I be if I cannot get over a simple Midgardian flu?"

"Your immune system isn't used to our illnesses. This could kill you."

He waved away their protests. "I promise you, if I do not get better within the week, we can look into other options."

-

"Loki, please!"

"I will not let you give into his demands!"

"You've gotten worse! We need to do something!"

"No!"

-

They patted his head with the washcloth, dabbing away the sweat, then sighed, and rest their head on his  chest.

"Still asleep?" Thor asked, slipping into the room.

"Yes." They trailed off. "He's been sleeping much longer lately. He's slipping off." They yawned.

"I believe you have been too harsh on yourself. You need sleep as well," Thor insisted.

"I know, I know... I just..."

He softened. "You go sleep. I will watch over my brother."

-

The rise and fall of his chest was the only indication he was still alive. The illness had merely rushed the inevitable; nothing could stop him as long as they were in this world. They wrapped their arms around their stomach, breathing in and out to calm them, before they leaned down and kissed Loki on the forehead. They brushed a strand of hair behind his ear, and wished for a moment they could see his eyes one last time. Enough. It was time.

"I'll do it."