2:9

After his impromptu surgery, Loki fell asleep with his head in Megan's lap. Once they felt his body relax, they stopped reading and bookmarked their page.

"What happened to him?" Mr. Stark asked quietly, staring at Loki's mangled body.

"Isn't it obvious," the man with the metal arm said. "He was tortured."

"Doctor Porter?" Mr. Stark directed the question to them.

"I'm not going to tell you anything without Loki's permission," they answered.

"How about we demand a motion of disclosure!" Mr. Stark grew frustrated.

"Fine, I'll get back to your lawyer in a few weeks with my defense," Megan said, echoing Mr. Stark's rising emotions.

"Doctor Porter, don't underestimate me-"

"I don't think you'll like where that statement will take you, so I'd recommend, legally speaking, that you shut the fuck up!" They snapped. "I'm not telling you anything because my client has a reasonable expectation of privacy. Now, I would appreciate it if someone would bring Loki and I where we can receive more professional medical attention."

Mr. Stark threw up his hands and stormed off, but the metal-armed man and Captain America both came forward, the former scooping up Loki, and the latter pushing Megan's wheelchair. As they maneuvered through the hallways of the tower, Megan felt incredibly awkward, debating whether or not to pretend they'd fallen asleep.

"Sorry Doc, I'm getting called out, emergency mission." Captain America said, pausing to listen to his earpiece. "I can call a different agent to wheel you to the medical wing."

"Thanks for the offer, but I think I've got it," Megan said. "Good luck!"

The Captain strode off, and Megan set the wheelchair into motion with a tug at the wheels.

"I'm James Barnes," the man with the metal name said, abruptly. "People call me Bucky."

"It's nice to meet you Bucky," they said, smiling  gently up at him. "I'm Megan Porter." Bucky looked nervously down at Loki, and seemed to steel himself.

"I... I used to be the Winter Soldier. I did a lot of bad things. I... want you to have the details of my trial. It's all sealed and stuff, but I know that Tony can get a videotape. I get that you can't say anything about your defense, but, uh, mine dealt with a lot of the effects of physical and mental torture, and some mind control too," he cut them off as they began to speak. "You don't have to tell me anything, just... get the guy some justice. Whatever he did... he's already paid tenfold."

"Thank you, Bucky," Megan said, as they rolled to a stop in the elevator. They placed a hand gently on his arm and gave him a light smile. "I think that'll be really helpful."

It was at that moment that Loki awoke, inhaling sharply and swinging an arm up. Megan caught a flash a metal and grabbed his hand to stop the dagger Loki aimed at Bucky's side.

"Loki, no."

"Fine," he grumbled, vanishing the weapon.

"Er... I'm Bucky," Bucky offered.

"And I am Loki. Are you another HYDRA agent?" He asked.

"No!" Bucky yelped. Loki narrowed his eyes, tensing slightly. "Not... Not anymore. It's complicated." Bucky shifted slightly, averting his eyes.

"Loki," they said gently, laying a hand on his arm. "He's a good guy. Like you." Loki's eyes lit up in understanding.

"I see. Well in that case, it's a pleasure to meet you, Bucky."

"Good to meet you too, Loki."

The elevator continued moving, awful elevator music playing in the background.

"I assume there's no point in asking you to set me down..." Loki persuaded.

"Absolutely not!" Megan said firmly.

Loki sighed and Megan got the feeling that would it not risk upsetting them and his shoulder, he would have thrown his arm dramatically across his forehead.

The elevator doors opened with a ding, and Megan rolled themself out, leading Bucky to their hospital room.

"Set Loki down on the bed, please," they directed.

"I'm fine, Megan needs the bed!" Loki argued.

Bucky paused midway through setting Loki down. He looked at Megan, then looked at Loki. "Just because you no longer feel the pain doesn't mean it isn't there." He lowered Loki the last few inches, then left the room as quickly as he possibly could.

"Loki," Megan began. "How about we get the doctors to move us to a room with two beds?"

"I can make another one," Loki suggested.

"As long as you don't irritate your injuries," they agreed.

Loki flicked his fingers and, just as when Megan first met him, a green metallic liquid leaked from the creases in the linoleum to form the shape of the bed. The green melted into itself, leaving behind a fully functional hospital bed. Megan floated out of their wheelchair and landed gently upon the bed.

"Megan," Loki reached for their hand, squeezing it lightly. "I've been healing myself over the years... I need you to remember, I've been like this—and worse—since you met me, and centuries longer. I can do all that which I've done before. I haven't gotten worse—well perhaps a little, since I've been shot—but the biggest change has been that now you can see... Thor."