11

Loki paced the floor, shoes clacking, floor creaking, the only sound in an otherwise silent house. At this rate, he would have to replace the floor. Again. He ran his hand through his hair and scowled.

"Sard it," he muttered, and, turning briskly on his heel, stormed out of his room and into the garage, slamming the door behind him. He strode over to the car, ready to drive anyplace, anywhere, just not here. Yet, as soon as he pulled the door open, he hesitated. He groaned, and slammed it closed again, leaning his head against the hood. After a minute or two, Loki gave up and walked back to the garage door. A quiet lullaby like melody came from inside. Megan was playing the piano.

He phased through the door and hid in the hallway, listening carefully.

I float in a boat,
In a raging black ocean.
Low in the water,
And nowhere to go.
The tiniest lifeboat,
Full of people I know.

Cold, clammy, and crowded,
The people smell desperate.
We'll sink any minute,
So someone must go.
The tiniest lifeboat,
Full of people I know.

Her voice rose a haunting octave, desperate, fearful.

Everyone's pushing!
Everyone's shouting!
A storm's approaching,
There's nowhere to hide!
If I say the wrong thing,
Or I wear the wrong outfit,
They'll throw me right over the side!

A sniffle. Nearly unnoticeable. Her voice cracked.

The tiniest lifeboat.
Full of people I know.

A gasp rang through the air. The piano stopped.

The tiniest lifeboat.
Full of people... I... know...

He peeked around the corner. Megan stumbled over to the couch and buried her head in her hands. He backed away, but stopped when he heard gasps and whimpers. He looked back, and Megan had sunken to the ground, and was grasping at clumps of the shaggy carpet. Her eyes were clenched shut, her breathing thin. All too familiar.

He rushed in, placing his hands on top of hers. Words were useless.

"Megan, I'm going to hold you, okay? If you want me to stop just tap me two times, okay?" He slowly gathered her into his arms, and settled her into his lap. She trembled, her body wracked with every breath. He began slowly rocking, absentmindedly weaving his hands through her hair. He breathed in deeply, and exhaled. Again. Then again. Slowly, her breathing slowed as well.

He waited a moment, then as she began to stir, he picked her up and brought her into the bedroom.  He summoned a cup of water, and wrapped her hands around it propping her up with pillows.

"Drink this," He said, looking into her eyes. "Then sleep." He hesitated, but kissed her on the top of her head.

He hadn't even finished closing the door when it hit him. This Midgardian had wormed her way into his heart. And he certainly wasn't opposed.