Replacement

Namjoon

    "God, you're pathetic."
    I ignore the spite in Taehyung's voice and close my eyes, praying he'll take the hint and disappear. Of course he simply sits across from me making himself comfortable to mock me.
     "Fuck off."
     He scoffs. "I want to talk to you."
    "Funny because I don't."
    "I'm serious. I've had something on my mind lately and need to talk to you about it."
    Groaning, I sit up on the couch and rub my eyes. "I'm really not in the mood right now, Tae. Can this wait?"
    He doesn't reply so I glance up and notice him fidgeting a lot, ringing his hands in front of him.
     I frown at this. "Are you nervous or something? You're being weird."
    He avoids my gaze, looking at the floor with extreme interest. "Please."
     I force my own personal issues aside and try to focus on him. "Okay. What do you want to talk about."
     He stops fidgeting, biting his lip. "I want a baby!" He blurts out.
     My eyes widen in shock and I cough. He looks embarrassed. "Umm...Tae...I know we're bonded and all but it's not like that. We're brothers. I don't—"
     "Oh fuck—gross! I didn't mean with you, you disgusting perv!" He shudders but his words reassure me. I breathe a deep sigh of relief. That could have made things awkward.
     "Okay. What do you mean then?"
     "I think...I want you to break our bond so I can find a real mate. I've never really given myself a serious chance. I was hooked on Jungkook for so long and never noticed anyone else. I went with Jimin for you...I want to have a real relationship for myself. I think I'm ready and I want a family of my own." He explains.
     I listen and nod slightly. "Breaking the bond is painful and emotionally taxing no matter how it's originally formed." I admit.
     "I'm willing to go through it. I enjoy your companionship but I can't live with you constant pining of Jimin in my head all to time, anyway. I want my own love life to focus on."
     "You're right. It's not that fun having you in my head, either." I grimace. "We can think about it more and do it. For now I don't really want to go through another bond break at the moment but if you find someone worthwhile then I will do it." Compromising.
     He considers. "Deal."
     I watch him walk out of the room and feel worse than I did before. I don't love Tae like that but...but deep down I'm selfish. Having him bound to me is better than being completely alone. Now he wants to leave me too. Am I really so unworthy?

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"You really didn't have to do this, you know." Jimin's voice is soft and grateful beside me.
I keep my mind solely focused on driving instead of his scent emanating from him. Sweet and tempting. I ignore it. "I don't mind and I'm not busy. I told you already."
He grins beside me before glancing back to check on Ryujin. "Look—shes smiling!"
I roll my eyes. "Do you want me to wreck?"
Pouting, he slips back into the seat. "It's the next right. Those apartments up there."
I nod silently and follow his directions. Today I'm helping Jimin look for his own place. He was planning on going with Jin but things came up and I offered when he offhandedly complained about having to go alone.
I'm actually surprised he agreed to my help. Right now we're headed to the second round of apartments on his list. By the looks of them they are way too cheap and unkept. I don't like the thought of him and my daughter living here but I'll keep my mouth shut for now.
We walk up to two flights of stairs behind the landlord who hastily explains all the amenities and monthly rent. I don't listen. He is definitely not living here.
The door practically breaks on its hinges as the lady unlocks it. She rambles on about stupid repairs while I give Jimin a look, changing Ryujin to my other arm.
We're left alone to explore.
"You can't live here, Jimin."
"But it's lower than my price range. I can save a lot of money living here."
"You can't carry Ryujin and her things up two floors every day. It's not safe here, either. The door barely locks! I can't with good conscious allow you two to stay here." I put my foot down.
He hesitates. "I know what's best for me."
"If it's just about money then I will give you however much you need. There is a good high end apartment complex close to my house. The security is good and there are elevators. Please consider looking at those." I plead, not wanting to push but needing to.
He sighs, looking at the baby in my arms. "Okay. Okay I'll check them out but if it's too expensive then I can't do it."
I nod. "Deal."
We quickly leave the death trap to the apartments I recommended. I chat idly with the familiar landlord and security guard while Jimin and Ryujin head up to see the empty two bedroom.
"It's nice to see you, Namjoon. How is Taehyung doing?"
I smile my aunt. "All is well. Actually, I was wondering if you could do me a big favor and help me convince my friend to move in here. He's afraid of the price but I would like him to only pay a quarter of rent and I'll pay the rest." I explain.
She nods, eyes twinkling. "Silly child—of course. I'll give him a discount as well. That baby is just to die for!" She squeals. "She's yours, isn't she?"
"How could you tell?"
"Her dimples match yours perfectly. The way you look at that boy is also rather telling." She teases.
I rub the back of my neck sheepishly embarrassed. "Thanks for the help. I know he will be safe here and it's close to me."
"Anything for you." We head up to meet with Jimin and I let my aunt happily explain to Jimin all the free amenities that come with the rent and she makes up an imaginary discount program for single parents.
I watch Jimin's eyes light up happily as he looks around at the large open space. The balcony high up with an amazing city view. It's quiet and very secure.
He accepts the deal quickly and signs the paperwork. While he takes Ryujin to the car, I fill in the rest of the paperwork covering the rest of the rent and deposits. My aunt winks at me, smacking my arm. "You take care of those two, yeah."
I smile. "I'll do my best."
"Please come see me more and bring that brother of yours. I miss that little omega."
"Will do. By auntie!"
Getting back to the car, I smile happily to see the beta practically bouncing in his seat with excitement.
"That place is amazing! I'm so happy! Ryujin will love it! I can't wait to decorate her room..."
Starting the car, I drive towards the restaurants. "Lets get some food to celebrate, hm?"
"Yeah, sure. I'm starving actually." He grins. "Thanks for coming with me and..." He pauses, biting his lip. "I know you helped me get that discount thing. Thank you. I really love that place. I can see it being home, you know?"
"It's no problem. I told you—anytime you need help just let me know. It's the least I can do...after everything." I sigh. "I'm happy to do it."
He nods. "So, um, you don't care to watch her for me this weekend still, right?"
My smile drops a bit along with the cheerful mood but I hold it with some effort. "Said I would."
"Okay."
"I'll help you move into your new place, too. Let me know the date."
"I will."
Neither of us say anything else throughout our meal. The only thing running through my mind is that young college brat moving into Jimin's new apartment and taking my place as Ryujin's parent...
It takes everything in me to keep smiling and swallowing my tasteless meal.
Anything I do for him...will never be enough. I'll never be his choice.