Chapter 9-Argument

I was sitting at the table with my head down. I didn't get a ton of sleep last night for a few different reasons. The main reason was that Ashiya was practily screaming all night last night. He was upset that he wasn't able to help Maou during the earthquake.

The other reason, was just because I went to sleep a lot later than I usually do. I tried to sleep in to make up for that, and Ashiya's yelling, but I woke up the same time Maou did, which wasn't super early, but it was earlier than I would've liked.

Either way, I was up now. Ashiya was asleep in the corner, and Maou was getting up to answer the door.

"Who is it?" I asked, as Maou opened the door.

"Emi." Maou said, glancing at me before turning back to Emi. "What do you want?"

I saw a small, brown envelope coming from the other side of the door. Maou looked at it before Emi spoke up, "Don't worry, It's not poison or anything like that."

"I can't think of one reason why I would get anything from you that's not dangerous." Maou said.

"Oh, so that means I can keep the 1,000 yen?" Emi asked.

Then Maou snatched the envelope from Emi and opened it, looking at the money inside as Emi talked, "Now we're even."

Maou walked back over to the door and opened it and looked at Emi. "What about your promise to leave us alone for a while?"

"I agreed to be your guarantor, so we're square!" Emi replied.

"Why you..." Maou growled.

"Was Alciel and Kamiki okay in the cave-in?" Emi asked, changing the subject.

"Well, Ashiya wasn't hurt, Kamiki wasn't either, but he took a psychological hit." Maou answered.

"Huh?" Emi questioned.

"Ashiya was yelling at himself for not being able to help Maou all night." I said.

"Yeah, he knew I got a little power back, but he still beat himself up about." Maou added.

"What happened to you?" I asked Emi.

"I was fine." Emi answered.

"You used some of your to put Chi to sleep, right?" Maou said.

"Y-Yeah, so what?" Emi replied, "I don't need you worrying about me."

"Oh, fine. Whatever. You can leave now." Maou said.

Emi huffed and walked away from the doorway and headed down the stairs.

"It's too early for this." Maou sighed before walking out of the apartment and calling to Emi about something I didn't care much about. Then I heard a crash from just outside. I got up and walked outside and stood beside Maou.

At the base of the stairs leading up to the second floor of the apartment building, Emi was laying on the ground. "Are you ok?" I asked with concert in my voice, running down to Emi to help her up. She sat up and I helped her back up the stairs into our apartment.

"I never thought that the Hero Emilia, who nearly vanquished King Satan, ever sustain so many injures falling down the stairs. It simple injures his majesty's reputation!" Ashiya said as he looked through the med kit. "We only have adhesive bandages. Did we never buy gauze?"

"What's that?" I asked.

"A type of bandage." Maou answered my question before answering Ashiya's. "I know it's a pain, but make a quick trip to the pharmacy and buy her some gauze and bandages. I don't want her nagging at me again."

"Of course, Sire." Ashiya replied. "May I borrow Dullahan, then?"

"Go ahead." Maou answered. Then Ashiya left the apartment. Maou sighed, "Might as well disinfect it now. Here."

Maou handed Emi a rag and she snatched it from him, "Don't touch me! I can do it myself!"

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever." Maou replied, then he gave Emi the other stuff she needed.

Emi sprayed some of the disinfectant on the rag and dapped the rag on her scrapes. I looked at her, a little confused. "Um, why does it hurt to do that? Shouldn't healing yourself make you hurt less?"

"I wish it were that way. But this is just how it works." Emi replied with a sigh.

"That doesn't seem right..." I said.

"A lot of things in this world don't seem right. That's just how the world works, it's not prefect." Emi dabbed the rag on another one of her scrapes and hissing at the pain again.

"It must sting." Maou stated.

"No it doesn't!" Emi yelled, throwing the bottle of disinfectant at Maou.

"Hey! What was that for!?" Maou yelled.

"Shut up!" Emi stood up angery, "What are you doing!? You're the Devil, right!? So act like it! Commit every atrocity in this world you can think of!"

"What? Where did that come from!?" Maou asked.

"Why would you want him to do that? Isn't it your job to keep him from doing those types of things?" I tilted my head in confusion.

"What's with you!? You're poor, you cook your own meals, you're respected at your job, you work our wiles on sigh school girls..." Emi yelled. "I've never heard of a Devil being vain just because some teenager likes him!"

"One of those things was not like the others." Maou stated.

"I think the shoe fits!" Emi yelled.

"I've never seen a hero who fell down the stairs, cried, and then got patched up by demons!" Maou yelled back.

"Um... can you guys not start a fight?" I pleaded. I didn't really want to see the two of them get into a fight right in front of me.

"...Why are you nice to me? Why are you nice to me... to people... to this world? Why can you be so nice?" Emi asked, as she started to cry. "If you can be so nice, then why... Did you kill my father?!"

Emi lost her father too... I thought, staring at Emi, the thought of my own father's death causing tears to start to sting my eyes. I feel really bad...

"The Devil I know is cruel, and kills humans as easily as bugs. He's the happiest when the world is filled with sorrow and death!" Emi yelled. "You burned our fields... destroyed our castles... swept away our towns. You're Satan, ruler of demons, you allow them any brutality! I swear on my life, I'll never forgive you! Our house, my father's fields, his life... You stole every bit of my peaceful life! I'll never forgive you!"

Emi fell to her knees, crying. Maou stood up and I moved closer to Emi to try to help comfort her, but there wasn't much I could do. "I've never thought much about it, but... Sorry. I didn't really understand humans."

That only seemed to make Emi even more angry. "People can change. Don't let what happened in the past get in the way of the future..." I muttered to Emi. She looked at me, angry obvious on her face. I gave her a sad smile. "I know how it feels. But, I didn't let my father's death get in the way of us being friends... we are friends, right?"

Emi seemed to relax a little bit. "Sure..."

Then, suddenly, the door opened. Chi was on the other side. "Good morning!"

-Author Note-

So about not posting last week... I'm really sorry about that. Recently, it's been harder for me to pick up my computer to write, so much to the point that I'm pretty much missing updates every other week. I'm going to try to write more so I stop missing updates like this, but I may end up missing more updates.

Anyways, I'll see you next week.

-Starlight