Chapter 6

Chapter 6

       "No way," Dad said. "Absolutely not. Don't you remember what happened the last time I let you go to a party?"

       "That was not my fault," Ryder said. "He's the one who started it."

       "You sound like a child every time you say that," Orchid piped up from the kitchen. "I literally heard Tulip say that yesterday."

       Ryder looked at Orchid. "I'm trying to convince Dad to let us all go to the party, not just me."

       "Dad, he's right," Orchid said. "Jerome was the one who started it."

       Dad sighed heavily. "I really don't want any of my children coming home with bruises because they don't know how to handle things without fighting. So, in other words, that's a no to the party."

       Even though Dad kept denying Ryder's wish to go to a party happening tonight, I knew Ryder was going to keep asking. He loved going to parties; same with Alan and Orchid. Every time someone at school was throwing one, they always tried to go.

       All while I stayed at home. I definitely wasn't a party person. Crowded places, loud music, even louder people. Don't get me wrong, I loved music. It was a huge part of my life. I just wasn't a fan when it was blaring so loudly that I couldn't even hear my own thoughts.

       "If it helps change your mind, I heard that Jerome isn't even going to be there tonight," Ryder said.

       "What?" Alan asked, his eyebrows furrowed. "But... Jerome loves parties and it's one of his friends throwing the party. Of course he's going." 

       Ryder gave Alan a look that told him to shut up as Orchid face-palmed. I loved Alan but he wasn't the sharpest knife in the kitchen. 

       "So let me get this straight," Dad said to Ryder. "Even though you got into a fight with Jerome last party you went to, yet again, you think I'm going to let you go to another party where Jerome is going to be?"

       "You let me go to school where Jerome is," Ryder said. "I've gotten into fights with him there. I don't see you stopping me from going to school."

       Dad sighed, rubbing his forehead. "I know you're not going to stop, so fine. You, and your brother and sister, can go. But I want you back by eleven, and I swear if you do get into another fight, you can forget about the next three parties. Got it?"

       Ryder nodded. "Got it. Thank you, Dad."

       "Yes, thank you!" Orchid said, leaving the kitchen and heading up the stairs to get ready to go to the party happening soon. Alan and Ryder also went upstairs.

       "And I swear, if you touch a drop of alcohol, you'll be grounded until you're thirty!" Dad called after them. He sighed, for the dozenth time today, before looking at me where I was drawing in my sketchbook at the dining room table. "I don't even see the appeal in parties."

       "Mom told me you used to go to parties all the time as a teenager."

       "She's lying."

       "She's a horrible liar."

       "That's... true." Dad walked over to the table and sat down beside me. "So how has school been going for you?"

       "It's good."

       "That's it? Just good?"

       "It's great? I don't know, it's school. Not much happening but learning."