Chapter 13

Chapter 13

       School has been extremely painful the past couple days. I could barely concentrate because of the lack of sleep I've been getting, which was only making me regret coming to this school. I was worried my grades were going to start dropping after I've done so well with online schooling.

       Maybe I should just go back to online schooling once I'm done this semester. I tried to get better and I just wasn't, so online schooling might be the best option for now. I was sure my parents wouldn't be against it, especially since I was the one who told them I wanted to try going to public school. They never forced any of those decisions on me.

       After school, I was at my locker putting my books away and grabbing the ones I would need for homework when someone suddenly tapped my shoulder. I did jump a bit before turning around to see Jerome. "Don't sneak up on me like that," I said.

       "Sorry," Jerome said. "So... I have something for you." He handed me an envelope.

       I furrowed my eyebrows as I took it from him. "What's this?"

       "It's a letter from the mayor," Jerome said as I started to open the envelope.

       I stopped opening it. "Why would the mayor send me a letter? Does she even know me?"

       "Just read it."

       I tore open the enveloped before pulling the letter out. Once it was unfolded, I began to read the letter from the mayor, still curious as to why she would even give me of all people a letter to begin with. 

       I only had to read the first few sentences to figure out why I got sent the letter and once I did, I looked at Jerome. "Is this for real?"

       "It is," Jerome said. "She's the one that gave me the letter to give to you."

       "But... How did she even know that painting was mine?" I asked.

       "She had a notice posted up in the building, asking if anyone knew the artist of the galaxy painting. I was there yesterday, by the way. Anyway, I went to the city hall to tell her and she asked me to give you that letter. So...?"

       I didn't reply. I just read the rest of the letter before looking back at Jerome. "I mean... It sounds great..."

       "But...?" Jerome asked, knowing there was one coming.

       There was actually a few coming.

       "But what if she doesn't like the idea I come up with?" I asked. "Or if she doesn't like the final result? Or if nobody likes the final result? A-and it says right here to give her secretary a call and I hate calling people."

       "Nolan, you're an extremely talented artist," Jerome said. "The mayor wouldn't have wanted you to paint a mural for her if she didn't like your art style. And you don't have to do it if you don't want to. It's just something the mayor wants to see if you're interested in doing."

       I hesitated, staring at the letter and reading the first sentence over and over again. Finally, I looked back at Jerome. "She really thinks I'm talented?"

       "Yeah, she does," Jeromes said. "She even told me when I went to go tell her I knew who the artist was. She said, and I quote, 'Your friend is one of the most talented artists I've ever seen'."

       "Well... If I do this, there's still the issue of having to call the secretary," I said. "I know that sounds like a minor issue and I should really learn how to call people but... Yeah..."