Chapter 34

Chapter 34

       When Monday rolled around, I was tempted to just find a place to hide and never leave because today, I was having to go back to school. I haven't been there since I was outed and I wasn't sure if I was ready to go back. But if there was one thing I learned from being in the psychiatric unit was that the more I held things off, the less likely I would overcome it.

       It was going to be scary but at times, I just had to take a leap and do things that my anxiety was trying to hold me back on.

       It took a while for me to get out of bed when my alarm went off. I kept telling myself to just get out of bed and get dressed, but things weren't always that easy.

       Eventually, I was dressed and ready to go to school. I made my way downstairs to get something to eat first and right as I was on the main floor, I saw Jerome in the kitchen.

       "What are you doing here?" I asked.

       Jerome looked at me. "Well, I know how stressed you feel about today, so I thought I'd pop in before school to see how you're doing. I also wanted to make you breakfast, but someone wouldn't let me." He glared at Ryder.

       "Dude, you were in my foods and nutrition class last semester and you were constantly burning your food," Ryder said. "I don't think Nolan wants to have burnt food for breakfast."

       "I'll just have some cereal," I said as I walked into the kitchen and opened the cupboard where the cereal boxes were. However, as soon as I opened it, I decided that I wasn't in the mood to have cereal. "Never mind, I don't want cereal."

       "Want to go to a cafe for breakfast?" Jerome asked. "I know a place that sells the best crepes."

       "I do like crepes," I said.

       "And they have unlimited toppings."

       "Music to my ears."

       "With the creamiest hot chocolate."

       "Keep going."

       "Topped with whipped cream, drizzled with chocolate and caramel sauce."

       "Oh, I so want to go."

       "What kind of weird flirting is this?" Ryder asked.

       "I-it wasn't flirting," I said. "I'm just... I'm hungry."

       "Well, then let's get going," Jerome said. "The cafe is amazing on the inside, so if we leave now we will actually be able to sit and eat instead of just grabbing breakfast on the go."

       After putting on my shoes and sweater, I picked up my backpack and slung it over my shoulder. Jerome and I then left the house and he led me to where he parked his car. We both got inside before he drove to the cafe he was telling me about.

       It wasn't too far from my house, which was definitely a good thing. If the crepes lived up to my expectations, then I definitely had to go there often. Well, if I was able to not spend all my money on art supplies.

       The crepes not only did live up to my expectations, but I had a lot of fun having breakfast with Jerome in the cafe. For a few minutes, I wasn't thinking about going to school. I wasn't feeling anxious or stressed. I was just feeling... happy. 

       Then Jerome looked at the time on his phone. "Ooh, we should get going. I mean, I wouldn't care if I'm late but I'm sure you don't want to be late."