Chapter 37

Chapter 37

       "I don't get why this is so difficult to play matchmaker," Jerome said. "Can't we just lock them in a room or something?"

       "I already suggested that," I said, as I was putting my second period notebook and textbook into my locker before Jerome and I went to the cafeteria for lunch. "You're the one who turned down that idea."

       Jerome sighed. "Because I don't even know how to get them in a room together without acting all suspicious. Which room would we even lock them in? How would we even get the keys to lock them in?"

       I closed my locker. "You're confusing me. First, you turn down the locking them in a room idea. Then, you agree to it. And now, you're questioning it. Make up your mind."

       "Locking them together somewhere seems like the best option," Jerome said. "I just don't know exactly how we can go through with it."

       "You're the one always getting in trouble at school because of your pranks and rule-breaking. I'm sure you can figure out how to lock them somewhere."

       "You're right," Jerome said. "Actually, I know exactly how to swipe the janitor's keys."

       "W-wait," I said. "N-no, I didn't mean to actually get us in trouble. I-I can't get in trouble..."

       "Don't worry, I'll take the fall if I get caught," Jerome said. "Just wait here. It shouldn't take too long." Jerome kissed my cheek before walking away, despite my protests to not take the janitor's keys. However, he either didn't hear me or he was just ignoring me.

       I had to go with the latter since Jerome had a knack for getting into trouble.

       It really didn't take long for Jerome to come back and when he did, he jiggled the key ring in his hand. "Step one, complete."

       "I-I don't like this..." I said.

       "It's okay," Jerome said. "You won't get into trouble since I'm the one that swiped the keys."

       "B-but I'm an accomplice..."

       "You're making it sound like I did something illegal. This..." He shook the key ring. "Is for the greater good. For love. Don't you want your brother to be happy?"

       "Well... Yeah..."

       "Then we'll do this fast so I can return the keys before the janitor even notices. So, where should we lock them?" He flipped through the keys since all of them were labelled. "The closet? A classroom? The basement? Ooh, the basement sounds cool."

       "And creepy," I said. "I thought we want to get them to sort their differences, not scare them."

       "The basement isn't that creepy," Jerome said. "Sure, there are a few cobwebs and possibly mice. We don't know for sure but there are mice traps and... Yeah, basement is not the best idea. We need a sort of romantic setting."

       "Yeah, because nothing says romantic like school."

       "Will you stop being a smart ass?"

       I smiled. "Nope."

       Jerome sighed, though a smile was forming on the corner of his mouth. "Okay, okay, how about... Ooh, the roof. It's perfect. It doesn't look as shitty as the rest of this place." Jerome gestured for us to go, so we headed to the door that led to the roof. Once we were there, he pulled out his cell phone and typed on it, I'm guessing to send Brandon a message. "There. I told him to meet me on the roof. I hope that works and he doesn't get suspicious over it."