Chapter 27

Chapter 27

       I was amazed at how Jerome was taking the whole locker situation. Sure, he did say he wanted to get revenge on who did it, but he didn't even seem too angry about it. Or hurt. He just acted like it was  small inconvenience he could get surpass.

       Even though he was not only a target of a hate crime, but he was also outed to the entire school. And yet he was still able to keep his 'I don't really care' composure.

       I always looked up to him in that aspect.

       I ended up missing a few days of school because of what happened, even though it wasn't even an attack towards me. It just really impacted me mentally, just thinking how someone could do something like that to my boyfriend.

       And if Jerome was right, that it was Anita or one of his friends, then it was a lot worse. They were his friends. People he hung out with all the time and laughed with. People he liked being around, for the most part.

       And then they just do something like that, either because they didn't agree with him being gay, or it was Anita taking out her anger that Jerome didn't like her back.

       Either version was horrible.

       When I finally decided I should go back to school, I made sure to text Jerome that morning to let him know since he had been worrying about me all week. Funny how that work. He was the one who was targeted, yet he was the one making sure I was okay.

       After I texted him, Jerome told me that he was going to be at the dance studio before heading to school and that I was welcome to join him. I decided to go there so I could see Jerome before school, and maybe calm down a bit.

       I got ready for school, not even bothering to eat breakfast since I wasn't too hungry. I've barely eaten the past couple days and honestly, I was hoping nobody would notice. Normally, my parents could tell when I wasn't eating but this time, I was doing a good job at hiding it.

       I did tell Ryder I was going to meet up with Jerome at the dance studio, so he didn't have to drive me to school today.

       As soon as I got to the dance studio, Jerome walked to the door and let me in, giving me a small smile. "Hey," he said as I walked in. "How are you doing?"

       "Good," I said, which was a clear lie. He even knew it, but he didn't question it. 

       "Do you wanna dance around for a bit?" Jerome asked. "Try to clear your mind off of things? That's why I'm here early and it has been working."

       I shook my head. "I'm going to sit off on the side. I just... wanted to see you before school."

       Jerome gently brushed a few strands of my hair away from my forehead before resting his hand on my cheek. "You know, there's nothing that's stopping us from hanging out at school."

       I looked down. Of course I wanted to hang out with Jerome at school. I loved being around him, but I was so afraid that people would get suspicious of us. Some people probably wouldn't even care. Maybe even most of the students wouldn't care but I couldn't help it. It was how my mind worked.

       I overthought everything.

       "Of course, we don't have to if you're too worried about people, somehow, finding out about us," Jerome said, placing his hand under my chin and gently lifting it up so I was looking at him. "I never want to do anything that would make you feel uncomfortable."

       Despite still feeling quite empty inside, I was able to faintly smile at him. "I know."

       Jerome smiled back and leaned down, pressing his lips softly on mine. He then pulled me into a hug and I wrapped my arms tightly around him, not wanting to let go. I felt safe in his arms. Comforted.