Chapter 31

Chapter 31

       Among all the rooms in the psychiatric unit, there was also a classroom for us to continue our education while we were in here since we couldn't attend school. Our parents just had to go to our schools and ask for the work for the next two weeks or so, depending on how long we were estimated to be in here for.

       And honestly, I did like that idea. Having a school schedule gave me some sort of familiarity so not everything about being in here felt different.

       "Psst, Nolan," Thea whispered, even though she didn't have to. As long as we were doing our work, our tutor didn't care if we talked to each other. "What did you get for number seven?"

       I furrowed my eyebrows as I looked down at my notebook. I wasn't even doing numbered questions right now. I was just working on an English assignment, which was writing a poem using a list of poetic devices I was given.

       I couldn't even reply to Thea because one of the guys, Omar, said, "Stop flirting with the new guy, Thea."

       "I'm not," Thea said. "I'm simply asking what he got for number seven."

       "We... all have different worksheets..." I said.

       "Oh, right," Thea said. "Oops."

       "Do you need help, Theodora?" the tutor asked from the front of the classroom.

       "Nope," Thea said. "I understand all of this. I'm just too lazy to do the work so I was trying to get the answers directly instead."

       "You should be showing all your work," the tutor said.

       Thea sighed. "I know." She went back to working on her schoolwork.

       I wasn't doing too well at my assignment right now, though I didn't even know why. I didn't have to make this poem perfect or anything. Part of the description of the assignment was that was long as we understood the poetic devices, used them properly, and had all of the ones listed in the poem, we would get a mark.

       That didn't stop me from being unable to focus. Maybe it was because we were getting close to finishing the class hours, meaning soon enough visitors were allowed so I could finally see my family and Jerome.

       I missed them a whole lot.

       It took me a long time to even get down one line for the poem. I really wasn't doing too well concentration-wise. I had to write three different poems, each with a different list of poetic devices, and I only got one poem done by the time our class time was over. Definitely not the progress I wanted to make.

       But at least this meant that soon, very soon, my family and Jerome were going to be here.

       Or so I thought.

       We weren't allowed to have cell phones in the classroom, unless we were taking an approved break. All the cell phones were in a box at the front of the class, so I went to collect mine once we were free to leave the room. The first thing I noticed was a text message from my mom. Hey, sweetie. I am so so so sorry but we're going to be a bit late visiting you today. There was a huge emergency at the clinic today with a patient and we have to take things slowly. We do have your siblings helping us though so it should be more proficient than if it was just your father and I. I promise we will be there today, just a bit later.

       Of course I was a bit upset they wouldn't be here right away, even though I fully understood why. I didn't expect my parents to just turn away an animal in need at the clinic. That would be extremely bad for business, not to mention the poor animal needed a lot of help.