Chapter 15

Chapter 15

       I waited anxiously as Tamala looked at the sketch I had for the mural. I was finally able to get something that I was proud of and that I think fit the theme that Tamala asked. I just had to wait for her to approve of it for me to officially began my work.

       After what seemed like forever, Tamala handed my sketchbook back to me before smiling widely. "I can't wait to see the final product," she said.

       "So... It's approved?" I asked.

       "Of course it is," Tamala said. "It's beautiful and it's exactly what I asked for."

       "T-thanks," I said.

       "I should be thanking you," Tamala said. "I've been wanting a mural there for so long."

       There were a few things I had to do before I could start painting the mural, like moving the furniture, protecting the floor and windows beside it, and doing a quick clean of the walls. Tamala told me she would take care of all that while I went out and got the supplies I needed to paint.

       Jerome and I left the city hall so he could take me to the craft store to buy everything I needed.

       "I told you she was going to like it," Jerome said as we walked to his car in the parking lot. "It's going to turn out amazing."

       I smiled. "Thanks."

       Jerome smiled back before wrapping his arm around my shoulder, giving me a side hug. Both of my arms went around his waist on impulse, hugging him back. I've been so happy being with Jerome recently and I was really glad I made the choice to go to the party to see Jerome.

       Even though I chickened out twice.

       And he was the one who first told me that he liked me.

       Either way, that wouldn't have happened if I didn't have the guts to go to the party.

       Mom was the only one who knew about me and Jerome. I still wasn't ready to come out to everyone else, and Jerome said he wasn't ready either. So for the time being, we were just going to enjoy this secretly.

       Very secretly.

       We got into Jerome's car and right as he was about to start it up, his cell phone rang. He took it out of his jacket, looking at the caller ID. He sighed heavily, not answering the phone but not putting it away.

       "Who is it?" I asked.

       "Anita," Jerome said. "She's not happy I left the party yesterday." He decided not to answer the phone and just put back in his pocket. "She doesn't seem to understand that I'm not always in a party mood. None of my friends understand that."

       "Well... You do party a lot."

       Jerome started up the car and pulled out of the parking lot. "Fair enough. I just haven't been in a party mood recently ever since my friends started to try and get me with Anita. Knowing them, they'd try to get me to play same lame ass party game like spin the bottle or seven minutes in heaven. I pretty much avoided them the whole time at the party, anyway. Sometimes..." He sighed. "Sometimes, I feel like it would be easier to just tell them."

       "Even though you're not ready?" I asked. 

       "That's the thing," Jerome said. "I want to tell them so they just leave me alone, but I can't tell them because I'm not ready."

       "Yeah, I know how that feels," I said.

       Jerome gave me a soft smile as he reached over, gently intertwining my hand in his. "At least we have each other."