IX - Break my Heart

I pay the cab and enter the fancy restaurant. I don't even want to know expensive this is. I try to hold up the floor length body-con dress's Enzo got me for tonight. It fits perfectly around my curves and falls beautifully at the bottom.

"Reservation under De Luca. I'm early." I say with a smile.

The hostess smiles. "Of course, here let one of our concierge take your coat. Someone comes up behind me and slips off my coat and gives me a ticket for later. "This way."

She leads me through the restaurant and to the balcony to probably the best seat in the entire restaurant. "Thank you so much!" She nods and lays down menus.

A waitor brings over some bread and I order a bottle of wine, one of our favorites. It's such a beautiful night outside. For about ten minutes I spend my time waiting by looking around. This restaurant is so beautiful. I get up to use the restroom expecting Enzo to be here when I get back but he isn't. I sit down and check the time, it's only five past the time we agreed on and that's not a lot.

It wasn't a lot until thirty minutes pass and no word from Enzo. I text him a few times with no responses and he hasn't recieved any of them. "I'll be right back, I just need to make a phone call outside." I tell my waitor. "I'm so so so sorry." He just nods, like he's seen this before.

I get outside and find his contact quickly. It rings and rings and rings. He doesn't pick up. I feel hopeless at this point until I see his caller ID pop up in my phone. "Hey Enzo where are you?"

"I'm so sorry Jess-" I cut him off.

"Enzo it's ok! Are you ok? I've been so worried about you! You're a half an hour late are you close?" I hear him sigh on the other side of the line. "What is it? Is it work? Can't you tell them it's my birthday and I'm much more important? I mean come on your parents own the company. No one will care!"

"Jess it's not that. It's just...Jess I'm breaking up with you." I wait a few seconds for him to say something else and he doesn't.

"Excuse me? Enzo if you're having second thoughts about the engagment we can call it off. It's ok. Maybe we're going too fast. You know I thought that too when you first proposed."

"No, Jessica I'm ending this, our relationship. Completely." I can feel my heart racing in my chest and I don't know what to say. I don't feel anything.

"Ok...umm. Can I ask why?" I pause and don't let him answer. "I mean you made this reservation. You moved me in today. You proposed to me and I said yes. You bought me a dress. You were so happy this morning am I not enough for you? What the fuck changed form lunch to now?" Now I'm just mad.

"I've realized work is more important to me, and I need to focus on my career," he says. He sounds so unsure. He's always busy at work, but this? This is ridiculous.

"You introduced me to your parents..." my voice finally cracks and I feel my breath picking up. I feel like I'm about to have a panic attack. "Work? Work is..." I can't even finish my sentence. I hang up before he can finish. I put my phone in my purse and go back to the table to make sure I have the rest of my things and the wine. I head back to the hostess and grab my coat, which seems to take forever. "Can you please hurry up?" I unintentionally yell. The man jumps a little and I take it quickly, leaving the restaurant. I feel like crying but I can't.

I feel my phone start to vibrate as it rings. "I swear if it's-" I fish it out of my purse and see it's Mr. Armani. "Sir this really isn't a good time I'm-"

"I really don't care. I need help , I'm having conference over dinner tonight. More help than I thought. I'll pay you hourly and an extra thousand dollars if you come over here." He throws around money like it's nothing.

I think it over. Not like I have plans now. "Fifteen hundred and I'll come over."

"Deal, see you in twenty minutes. Wear something nice."

The line ends and my stomach twists. I kneel down and throw up between two buildings. I need to eat something, I've been drinking on an empty stomach.