XXIII - After

After a sleepless night, the next morning I'm on my third cup of coffee already. What is taking Vincent so long?

"Are you still thinking about Enzo? I can't imagine sex with him was that good anyway considering he had no balls." He says as he sets his briefcase down and grabs some coffee.

All I can do is blink a few times, I'm so exhausted. He must think I'm upset because my eyes are red but it's just from exhaustion. "This isn't about good sex, we were getting married. We were in love. Sorry if I'm not ready to have sex yet. Why are we talking about this again? How about 'good morning Jessica, did you sleep well?' No I didn't I'm exhausted."

"Jessica you weren't in love. A man that would leave you so easily at his father's command doesn't love you. If you thought Trevor didn't have any brains, Enzo didn't either. You can't hang onto him if you want this to work."

"I'm not, ok? I just, I just didn't want to have sex last night."

Vincent starts to laugh.

"What?" I'm getting to the end of my rope with him.

"Nothing, are you afraid you can't please him?"

I turn red. "No! I've had plenty of sexual experiences and I know I'm good at sex. And what do you care? A few days ago you so rudely reminded me that you'd never have sex with me and to not worry about it."

"I didn't say never! I said you hate me so why would I have sex with you? If circumstances change..."

I turn red again. "Oh my god!"

He starts belly laughing. "You're so red!"

"And you're being mean. I appreciate you setting me up with Trevor but it didn't work out. We have some more time, I don't have to settle on the first guy! Speaking of-" He's still laughing. "When you decide I'm attractive enough and likable enough to fuck me you can laugh at me all you want. Until then I don't want to hear it," I continue, "As I was saying, I found you a date. Her name is Victoria. She's super hot and I think her boobs might be real. Perfect trophy wife, she'll never say no to you and she'll pretend like she can cook. It's perfect your father will love her."

"And when did I say I wanted a trophy wife?"

"When did you say you wanted an intellectual? Last time I checked you never really like my opinions. Plus I don't think you want someone digging around your work. You know she may be a gold digger, I didn't think about that."

"I'm not going on a date with a brainless twig!"

"So only a half brainless twig? Just try it, you never know. It might be great! Last night you said it yourself, we don't need to find true love. Just someone bearable."

Vincent shakes his head as he grabs his coffee and heads to the elevator. I go to follow but he stops me. "You're staying here today, my mom is coming over to see you. She's been worried since the kidnapping."

I shrug. "Kidnapping is a little strong, he persuaded me to come with him."

"And who was found tied to a chair?" I can't dispute that one. "I'll be back after my date, don't say anything stupid."

"When have I?" The elevator doors close and in less than five minutes they reopen. "Forget something? If it's that paperwork from yesterday it's on your....," suddenly my stomach drops. "Zio..." I get up to greet him. "Is there a reason for this visit?" I'm so wrapped up in Ramando being here I didn't quiet notice the entourage. Uncles and aunts from both our families, my father and some of my cousins including Dante, Vincent's father, and his mother looking just as scared as me.