XXXVII - 6ft Under

"Marco, you promise me you will call me when it's over? Immediately, I do not what to wait around wondering." I say over the phone as I pull up to the graveyard.

"Yes, I promise. I'll let him know where you are. I'm sorry for your loss Jessica."

I shake my head even though he can't see it. "Thank you, Marco. But there's nothing to be sorry about. She didn't die tied to a bunch of tubes in a hospital. It's more than I could have asked for. Now get his ass out of there."

"You can count on me, we'll get this figured out." He hangs up and I step out of the car with Cecilia and Anthony. Marco and Romeo are at the courthouse.

The legal team had been working all week, coming up with a few strategies. A few others had been working, trying to track down who was being payed off and by who, with little success. Whoever is, most likely my uncle, is covering it all up well. Really well.

Marco has suggested alternative methods, but I had refused. I kindly reminded him that we're already in enough shit and committing more crimes is not the solution. He asked me a few more times and each time my refusals got more and more insistent. It wasn't until last night that he stopped suggesting it.

Unfortunately, my mom's funeral had preoccupied me the entire week. It was a lot more work than I thought it would be. But no one ever teaches you how to plan a funeral. She'd left almost everything to me and my father had everything almost planned.

At the visitations there was a lot more people than I expected. I didn't know my mother knew so many people and so many people knew of me. Having each other them say how proud of me she was, was probably the hardest part of this entire ordeal.

The only thing I have to be thankful for is that Ramando has stayed away from me, all week long. I've only spoken to him once or twice to say hello, and it's been amazing. I can't help but wonder what I did to get him off my back.

"We'll be waiting towards the back if you need us." Cecilia says with a smile.

I give her a hug. "Thank you for everything." She'd been so supportive, always willing to listen. Maybe Marco just wanted me to have a friend, more than an assistant.

As I pull away I feel Vincent's phone vibrating in my purse. I've been carrying it around but no one had bothered to text or call it until now.

I wave to them and move away from the crowd to take the call. It's an unknown number. "Hello?"

There's some static and no one says anything. I'm about to hang up, but I hear someone clear their throat. "I think you should look into your mother's autopsy."

"What? Who the hell is this?" The voice is just an indistict male voice.

"A player trying to win the game. Check the autopsy report." The phone line goes dead. I look at the phone, like the person would call back and explain himself.

I put the phone away before Anthony and Cecilia think something is wrong. I catch my uncle's eyes as he steps out of his car. He smiles and starts walking my way. It seems his break from his tirade is over. Check the autopsy, huh?

I find my phone in my purse, texting Marco. "When you're done I need you to look into my mom's autopsy, her medical records, the doctor's visits." I send it just as my uncle steps in front of me.

"Jessica, I'm sorry about your mother." He says, his tone flat. "And about Vincent. The trial is just starting?"

I cross my arms. "Really? Are you? Because I haven't gotten a single text or call from you all week offering help. And I heard a little birdy say we had a lot of law enforcement under our thumb after your unfortunate incarceration. How convenient he might go to prison for a crime you committed."

He laughs and grabs my arm, pulling me towards the grave. Mom's casket has already been lowered into the ground and a crowd is forming. "Is my dear nipote suggesting I had something to do with Vincent's arrest." Before I can respond he squeezes my arm and I have to refrain from yelping. "How about you take your mother's advice and try to stay on my good side? Didn't she teach you how to respect your elders?"

He hands me a white rose and the priest starts the rest of the ceremony. I take my uncle's rose from him. "You don't deserve to be here."

"Excuse me?" He tries to take the rose back.

"Maybe she didn't tell you, but she also told me not to trust you. And the ways thing went during our wedding were a little too perfect. I know what you did."

"You're becoming more like your mother everyday." He spits.

"I'll take that as a compliment." I throw the roses in for the both of us. "Because I'm sure you would agree, she was an amazing woman. She was your sister."

I push past him when I see Marco walking through the cemetery entrance.

"Jessica Bene-" He starts and I turn back to him.

"It's Jessica Armani now. Or did you forget you forced me into a marriage a week ago?" I throw my arms up, ignoring anymore of his protests.

My legs have never moved faster. I see Cecilia and Anthony have already joined him. "That was fast, what happened?" My hand finds his wedding ring around my neck, a habit I've formed the over last few days.

He has this look in his eyes. "We should sit down."