XXXIII - A Wedding for the Ages

Sorry I didn't update yesterday! I was having some block and I wasn't ready to publish the chapter until I liked it! Butttt that means there will be a double update today! Next chapter will be out shortly after this one! Enjoy!

"This is happening!" I say for the millionth time. "This is actually fucking happening."

"Would you sit still!" The stylist says, beyond annoyed with me. I've been fidgeting the entire time.

Every girl dreams of her wedding day but all I want to do is run, and run far and fast. This was supposed to be my special day and I'm dreading it. There's no one here that I like, I've been distant with my family for awhile, and none of my friends are here. I should be fantasizing about the rest of my life but I can't. I don't love Vincent. I like Vincent, but I don't love him and this is too far. I thought we'd have more time.

There's a knock on the door and Rose slips in. "Hey, I got here as soon as I could!"

I break down crying and the stylist throws her arms up, completely giving up. "I'll handle it!" Rose says and the stylist leaves.

Rose finishes my hair and moves to fix my makeup but I'm crying too much. "Why are you all worked up?"

"Why? Why?? I'm getting married Rose! This is all so ridiculous. I'm so not ready. My uncle is enjoying this, he's enjoying my breakdown." I nearly yell.

"Then don't let him enjoy it! Go out there and hold your head up high. Act like the happiest damn bride ever. I've known Vincent my entire life, you could be doing a lot worse. And in the next few weeks you weren't going to fall in love anyway. That takes a lot of time for most people."

"I know, and Vincent is great. But I don't love him and I want to. That's the problem! I'm marrying a man I don't love."

Rose sighs and starts on my makeup. "I know and I'm sorry. But at this point there's nothing you can do. Absolutely nothing. But you can walk out there confidently, like you don't have a care in the world. You've already been through hell. What's one more night?"

I nod. "Yea, yea you're right." I try to convince myself but I can't. She's right, and I need to suck it up. "Can you help me into the dress?"

"Of course!" She says, very happy I've calmed down. She gets me zipped up and helps me into my shoes. "You look absolutely stunning in this dress. Just be careful where you step so you don't fall, ok?"

"I think falling in the least of my worries!" We both laugh at that. I move infront of the mirror and try to take a deep breath. "I'm actually doing this. I mean it's just a piece of paper, right? Marriages can always be reversed. All it is a way to get a break on taxes."

She smiles and nods behind me. "See, now you're thinking!" She hands me a mint. "Might as well make that kiss enjoyable."

I pop it into my mouth as the door pops open again and Vincent sticks his head in.

I cross my arms as he steps in. "You know the more I think about it, the more I think this is your fault. It's bad luck to see the dress before the day and what did you do a week ago? Bad mojo!"

"Rose can I have a second alone with Jessica?" Vincent asks.

She nods and smirks, giving me a wave.

I turn to Vincent. I try to take a deep breath but I can't again. "You ready for this?"

He sighs and pulls me into a hug. "Absolutely not."

"I'm not either. But we promised to be in this together, try to make the best of it."

"And we will, you're not alone." He smiles and leans down to kiss me. "And it won't change our relationship, we're just doing it to satisfy our families."