XXXII - Family

Ever since the breech a week ago, Vincent has been on edge. I try to get him to talk to me but I can tell he's anxious. That just lets me know how serious it was.

Thankfully, he had gotten better at updating me on where he was and what was going on, most of the time. From what I can understand, they still don't know who hacked in. They found the IP address of the hacker but it didn't result in anything. They had looked at so many obscure files it's hard to tell what they were looking for. While Vincent was busy, Romeo told me he thinks it was just a distraction, that they were trying to do or look for something else. That thought is even more worrisome.

I'd been in the office by myself almost everyday this week and when I wasn't exhausted, I'd only see Vincent at headquarters at night. The other nights I'd fallen asleep by myself and woken up by myself. We'd agreed to do this togther and I know there's not much I can do right now, but I can't help but think this is what the rest of our marriage is going to look like. He's holding all of the weight on his shoulders and he won't let me carry any of it. I just have to keep reminding myself that this will pass and I'll have my fiancée back soon.

I'd been facing my own sense of dread during the week. Our engagment party, the family dinner party, is today. It's all I've been able to think about between paperwork and worrying about Vincent. The thought of my uncle is in the background, I'd been thinking about seeing my mom. From what my father had said, it didn't sound good. She couldn't even get out of bed. I've been holding it all in, mostly, and I'm afraid seeing her will make it all come out.

I unsurprisingly wake up by myself and get ready. I pick out a more colorful dress and some red lipstick. No reason I shouldn't feel good if I'm going to have to deal with my family today. I pick up my phone to text Vincent, 'headed over early to see my mom. Please be here on time'. If he wasn't going to be here to boss me around, I'd go to this party by myself without a security guard.

I slip out through the front, telling the guard I'll be right back, that I'd left something in the car, and head down to the garage to get the Porsche. Once I'm out on the road, it feels good to be truly alone for a little. I turn on the music and take a deep breath to relax after this long week. The drive to the outside of the city is a little long but it will be great.

When I arrive there's only a few cars in the driveway. I try the door and it's open. "Hey, dad!" I yell as I take off my shoes. There's no response, he's probably in his office.

I head up the stairs before anyone else comes to find me. I knock on my mom's door lightly and stick my head in. She jumps a little. "I'm sorry did I wake you up?"

She smiles and shakes her head, sitting up. "No, no! And even if you did I wouldn't care." I have a feeling I did but she won't admit it. "You're early, the party isn't suppose to start for a bit!"

I nod and pull up a chair. She looks ok, but really skinny, too skinny. "Yea I know but I wanted to come visit you. I haven't seen you or talked in so long." I take both her hands in mine. "So how are you feeling?"

"Ok, fine. As good as you can be with cancer." I give her a sad look even though she's smiling. "There's nothing the doctors can do. So they're just trying to keep me comfortable and I'm trying to read as many new books as I can!"

I smile at that. "If you even need anything I'm here, really. You know I'd do anything for you."

She takes a second to inspect my engagement ring. "I'm sorry about Enzo." She says changing the subject quickly.

I sigh and nod. "It's ok. I mean it's not ok, but I'm ok. Or I will be at some point. He showed me his true colors in the end anyway."

She nods and smiles. "How has Vincent been?"